This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 2 months ago by Oteri.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Kebron Participant
      February 13, 2014 at 11:47 am #23648

So I was reading an article on cracked about botched espionage stuff and it gave me an idea that I think could really flesh out espionage and the ‘shadier’ part of governmental agencies.
      Scientific espionage. Basically, like tapdata there would be a scientific ‘node’ or server or whatever you want to call it where the data for specific clans was held. Corsecs would be somewhere on Corellia, the Empire’s would be on Coruscant, the Rebellion might have one on Yavin, etc. It would be an area seperate from the current tap data point specifically for developmental research.
      IF a slicer/espionage person could reach this location and use the tapdata command on this node without activating every alarm on the planet after a long delay (we are talking longer than clan roster delay, like a good solid 10 minutes or so) You would get X % of said clans scientific development, either A) Setting the process back, or B) Stealing the development yourself. The second part would be based on the points that number one, it was already completed, and number two, you had a good 2 hours uninterupted to sit theri in this room stealing their information with no failures all the way to 100%.

This would make security personal more vital as monitoring these points would become key to keeping your deep dark scientific secrets to yourselves it would also make having secret science facilities more necessary and make organizations a little more careful about espionage while also giving sneaky types a new way to get themselves permed by Imperial Ganksquades.

• Oteri Participant
      February 13, 2014 at 7:15 pm #23650

Too bad development doesn’t work on a % system at all. It’s straight luck. You could, theoretically, finish it in a single develop use. This idea isn’t bad, but I think it would force a rework of develop as well, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

• Quicksilver Participant
      February 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm #23652

Motion to scrap the stupid stealing science idea, but move forward with the development as a percentage system.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      February 14, 2014 at 10:52 pm #23653

I also am for the percent system. It would a)make developments a bit less of a hassle and b)maybe open the door to a personal, non-clanned development.

• Flek Participant
      February 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm #23655

Keep the random factor but set a limit to 150 mill, once you spend 150 mill you have your development. Nothing should cost more then that ever.

• Quicksilver Participant
      February 16, 2014 at 7:00 pm #23660

What I mean is that there would be potential tiers for development, and each develop you do gives you a randomized percentage of your total, so eventually you can develop without needing that OHMYGODLUCKY bit. Because AEW probably spent over 500mil on fucking develop spam for like 3 things. That noise. Fuck it.

• Paco Participant
      February 16, 2014 at 8:04 pm #23661

If the percentage system doesn’t work maybe the IMMs can set up a credit-max for each individual development assuming its a fair number. Say you develop a new type of class I cloth, set the maximum credits spent at 20 million. Class II armor, 30 million. Class III, 40 million. New starfighter? 25 million. New capital ship? 75 million. Maybe you’ll get lucky and not need to spend the whole amount, but at least you won’t be stuck and you’ll have that fallback to at least look forward to. I know the Consortium spent something like 150 million on one dev and it took a long time.

Just a thought.

• Oteri Participant
      February 17, 2014 at 8:54 am #23663

I’d rather not see a staff-set limit. A randomized % would be pretty cool, though. Like each adepted use of develop gives between .25 to 3%. Develop should still be painful, just not ridiculous.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.