This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 9 months ago by Avanga.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Kora Participant
      August 15, 2010 at 7:19 pm #1523

I’ve heard a few people talking about this over the time I’ve been playing, so this isn’t my idea, I just figured I’d post it for everybody to look at.

Even though dubbing somebody (or being greeted, even) helps you to identify them, it can sometimes be more of a pain than anything else. If you’re informed of the greet or dub/are greeted by the person and then later forget who they are, you won’t be told their race or gender when you hear them speak over zero. This is frustrating because it means you actually know -less- about the voice than somebody who had never heard it before in their life.

Now, this first part has been suggested before (by me, at least, and I think by other people): Allow mem to save the race of the person as well as how long ago you saw them. Typing memorycheck would still display the same way it always has, but typing mem <person> would now should more information. For example:

mem Ariel
      You last saw Ariel 6 days ago.
      Ariel is a Mermaid female.

In the past when I’ve brought it up the main objection I’ve heard is that it could be used way too abusively. You dub ‘A humanoid in a giant fishbowl’ as ‘fishperson’, type ‘mem fishperson’ and all of a sudden you know the race (and gender) of the person wearing restrung armor.

However, I think being able to dub people through restrung armor is abusive in and of itself. "I recognize that woman. Yeah, but last time I saw her she was wearing something that covered her completely. No, if she put it on again I would have no idea if it was her or somebody wearing her armor." It’s stupid. So, the solution is easy. Allow us to see race and gender details in memcheck, but don’t allow anybody to be dubbed through restrung armor.

Thoughts?!

• Avanga Member
      August 15, 2010 at 7:34 pm #15005

…Wait, we can play Mermaids?

Seriously though, I like this idea. More often than not, I’ll get someone’s name and have no idea what race or sex they are. T_T

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.