Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Droid Programming
Tagged: 
This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 8 months ago by illyduss.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • illyduss Participant
      July 23, 2015 at 1:18 am #26314

A scientist skill that allows them to program datachips imprinted with skills that can be loaded into a droid allowing them to use a skill from a given class. The droid should meet the level of that skill, I noticed they gain exp and so I think they level up but I am not sure, and be in the category for the class. Combat droids can use use Combat, Bounty Hunter, and Leadership skills. Protocol droids can use Smuggler, Espionage, Diplomacy. Construction droids can use Engineering, Pilot, Medical. Droids should not get slicer levels as it could violate Law 3, more on that later. Each droid can hold a number of datachips, much like datapads can and the owner must simply duty droid (skill command) (target). Of course just like books the ‘Programmer’ must be adept at the skill they are imprinting on the datachip.

On a side note slicers get a skill that allows them to imprint a virus onto a datachip that will cause the droid to do various things like disobey, kill their master, or even transmit recordings of what they are seeing over a predetermined freq. Like how the RA-7 series did for the Empire on the Deathstar and then everyone figured it out and stopped buying RA-7s. This would violating Law 1 and 2 and so it would be some serious maleware. As for Law 3 a slicer can grant droids the ability to slicer via a virus or more importantly they could slice into multiple droids (maybe put a max limit on this of 3 or so for balance) at once controlling them in a feat called Bot Net. This requires the slicer to be fully concentrated on the task at hand, even speaking will disrupt the connection and they are totally oblivious to everything going on around them while they control the droid(s). The reason why the slicer cannot do anything when using the bot net is to balance it out. Sure they can use 3 droids at once, but if you know where they are just walk up on them and knock them out they won’t see you and you won’t even have to sneak. It would be very risky to use a bot net, but also have some serious rewards if you can do it stealthy. Essentially the bot net would allow them to port into a remote droid and use it, as if it was their character. They can cycle through droids in the bot net by typing cycle. It would require a network hub, a modified master datapad, virus chips in each droid (maybe more than 1), and they would have to break the security encryption of the droid to do it. Which means that slicers can also secure droids and scan them for maleware. Maybe even make it so the slicer has to be on planet or like fakesignal 50+1000 comms range of the ship the droid is on.

Lastly one program chip would allow droids to use items like comlinks so the master can ‘duty droid say (whatever you want them to say)’ which would help characters without a protocol understand someone else who has a protocol on the zero.

• StormRyder Participant
      July 23, 2015 at 10:41 am #26345

Problem droids, though beneficial as a industry or protocol, suck right now as combat. They don’t level that high from what I can tell, all have a glitch in their programing that causes them to attack their owner even when grouped with them for a variety of reasons.

Though if the glitch is tracked down I support droid skill datachips. As for bot net that coding is already there on the imm side though it is a bit glitchy and has a tendency to crash the mud when switching.

Really thought out, I give a thumbs up.

• illyduss Participant
      July 23, 2015 at 6:52 pm #26400

Hey thanks and if they need me to debug the droid code I don’t mind helping. It would be some helpful experience since I am a fledgling programmer. I imagine we’re in C++?

• wash Participant
      July 23, 2015 at 6:56 pm #26401

SWR stock code is in C, and few SWRs have ported to C++.

• illyduss Participant
      July 23, 2015 at 6:58 pm #26403

I’m not so big on C, but I know C++ if that helps? Just let me know and I’ll bust out my debugger.

• Baxtalo Participant
      July 23, 2015 at 7:19 pm #26405

Barely skimmed, but these upgrades if they were installed like cybernetics for droids would really increase the incentive to have/play them

edited because autocorrect is the devil

• illyduss Participant
      July 25, 2015 at 3:42 pm #26588

Yeah I think it is one of my better ideas. It would make them more pronounced and useful which is pretty important if the TF is going to build a droid army.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.