Legends of the Jedi Forums General Chat Description Writing Services
This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 7 months ago by Kirash.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Corey Participant
      August 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm #19731

Wasn’t there some kind LOTJers that were at one point offering up description writing services? On a related note, would it be possible for the IMMs to do a point trade system for description writing? IE: I pay player X 100 points for writing a high quality description for my character.

• Bai Participant
      August 19, 2012 at 11:39 pm #19732

i used to write them, and i’d be inclined to do it again if i got points for it LOL

• Corey Participant
      August 22, 2012 at 5:36 pm #19733

Yeah if a staff member would be up for allowing the transfer of points, I’d be more than happy to do this.

• Baxtalo Participant
      August 22, 2012 at 9:31 pm #19735

On one hand, I am saying to myself “Yeah, points, this would be great!” because I would definitely do that if it came in, while on the other hand it seems ludicrous to want to get imm recognition of something like this through creating this process, and account points for you writing someone ELSE’s description… something that they should be doing for themselves to begin with. A description is the first thing you see about someone’s character, and can give you insight into what they have been through, quirks, etc… it should really be your own doing.

On the other hand, I could see this being easily, very easily abused. How would you stop someone from randomly crediting another account for no reason?

• Corey Participant
      August 23, 2012 at 1:54 am #19736

Who cares if someone else writes your description for you? Every planet, clan base, ship, NPC description, non-player made EQ and pretty much anything else in the game is written by someone else. Its a matter of perception, not a matter of who did it. I don’t get upset when I build a ship in game and then don’t get to write the description on the inside. Someone else already did that for me and I like that…yay. Also, I have no clue how you get the crediting thing? Player1 asks a staff member to dock them X points and then credit Player2 those X points. How could someone abuse that?

• Walldo Keymaster
      August 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm #19737

I guess I don’t care if someone writes your description for you but I don’t like the idea of transferring points for it.

• Trayn Participant
      September 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm #19878

I need a wookiee desc for my new alt but nothing is coming up, can somebody help me make one?

• Bando Participant
      September 18, 2012 at 1:09 am #19880

Just make him big and furry.

• Altrez Participant
      September 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm #19885

I’m not the greatest, but the first thing I do when writing a desc is define the race (with checklists). Let’s look at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee

– Tall, hair covered, retractable claws, tree dwellers/climbers, little dog noses, fangs.

Then you need to define him as a character.

– Style, build, scars, tattoos, smell, posture, etc.

Or you can just tweak the original racial traits without adding most of that other crap with the same effect.

– Short, burned or removed hair, missing gnarled claws,  prosthetic teeth.

So you just take one thing at a time on the checklist and elaborate on it, until you have a full desc.

Your average wookiee:

He is a tall beastly being, around two meters in height, with long shaggy brown hair that hangs off of him as if he were wearing a carpet. His face is centered by a puggish nose and a gaping fanged mouth; for the most part dismissed as savage, if not for the keenly intelligent brown eyes that light up his features.  He slouches his shoulders constantly, causing his arms to hang and swing as he walks.

Now let’s add these checklists: stylish hair, nice teeth, and a noble upbringing.

He is a tall lanky being, around two meters in height, with long silky brown hair that is carefully groomed into a wavy mane and delicate curls along his body. His face is centered by a puggish nose and a wide mouth often concealing beautiful white pearly fangs. Brown eyes framing his face shower an unwavering intensity, bringing a thinly veiled determination to his presence. He carries himself with uppity pride everywhere he goes, holding his body to a higher standard of gravity.

Or: Mangy, mutt-like, missing a paw.

He is a tall beast of a being, around two meters in height, with long matted black fur that coils and  tangles in places. His face is centered by a puggish nose and a thin lipped overbite  ; constantly displaying his gruesome  fangs. Suspicious brown eyes are squinted at all times, trying to perceive the treachery around them.  He favours a shift of balance to his left, supplicating for the old stump of a battle wound that was his paw.

So, not the best but you get the formula. Just tick off some traits and write them out one at a time. Use google for descriptive words.

• Jaxx Participant
      September 19, 2012 at 10:44 am #19886

@Altrez: That’s the best way to work at doing a description. The only other two things I’ll mention which were told to me:

1) Never do any words which give an impression. I.E.: If you look at me and I have my desc which states you are awed by the wisom in my eyes, that’s putting words in your mouth. What if you think I’m a conceited arse?

2) Try for a quirk or two for humor. If you can put it in, run with it. Is there a scar across his temple? Does his leg twitch when he’s nervous?

• Kirash Participant
      September 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm #19887

One tip I can give is please, for the love of all that is holy, don’t make a wall-of-text description. If I can’t glance at your desc and tell exactly what I’m looking at, then most of the time, I’m going to ignore it.

I can’t remember who said it, but they said it best:

“Descriptions should be worn like skirts: Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.