This topic has 16 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 10 months ago by Drel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Rojan QDel Member
      June 10, 2008 at 2:40 pm #694

I had an interesting idea to encourage sith/dark jedi to be more stealthy and less "omg kill u"-y. Here’s my idea…

feel ‘conceal force’
      Uses anywhere from half to all of your FP.
      While ‘concealed’, you can’t use force skills or meditate. But you also can’t be detected using sense or awareness.

I’d like opinions on balance, etc. A couple ideas to make it more balanced would be to either A) Drain ALL of the caster’s FP so that they can’t just pop out and kill people with full FP or B) have them show up as low level forcers on sense/awareness instead of not at all. Another idea someone had was to broadcast some kind of message about a strange sensation every 15 minutes or so to other forcers in the system…

• Rojan QDel Member
      June 10, 2008 at 2:43 pm #7125

Just saw another post about ‘hide presence’ that suggested that using the skill caused your FP to slowly drain.

And of course…RJ’s insight:

"RenegadeJedi":2xveinpb wrote:
      From EVERYTHING I’ve read and seen, Palpatine didn’t have any stealth hax; he hid like Yoda did… finding a large concentration of the opposite side of the spectrum, and using it to overwhelm his presence.

Now, then… as for actual force stealth: there are three kinds, really.
      One is the historical method of "drawing inward" (dampening your own connection to the force). It’s effective against people less powerful in the force than you, but can be bashed through if they know where you are, et al, and doesn’t hide you from non-forcers.
      Second kind is LotJ’s: hiding from NON-forcers; this is an illusion, and shouldn’t hide you from forcers AT ALL… in fact, you’d be easier to find to them.
      Third kind is Vergere/Jacen: not shutting your force connection off, but tuning it to a level so miniscule that the typical force user doesn’t detect it. Can be countered, but only by someone equally skilled in the technique… force techniques can also be used at this level, but nothing from the "Living Force" (i.e. force lightning, force jump)–typically healing, detection, etc.
      In LotJ terms, the best division would be that forcers can hide from non-forcers at level 80 or so (neutral spell, but not nearly as common as LotJ makes it out to be), and they can hide from other forcers (and take away their own ability to use force skills) at 100 or so.[/quote:2xveinpb]

Anyone else have any suggestion for how to make this a viable, BALANCED skill?

• viskin Member
      June 10, 2008 at 2:45 pm #7127

The sith have been well known for their abilities at stealth, clouding their presence with the dark side. I definately agree to some kind of new skills along those lines. Perhaps a force camouflage that would be similar to hide and sneak. And then the force stealth, which would make them hidden from force detection. You could make it take half the force pool, or prevent the useage of force skills for a slight timer after coming out of the stealth as you sort of ‘reconnect’ yourself to the force. Either of those should help prevent dark siders from stealth – raping people as much. If there were different ‘power levels’ of force that could be felt, the skill could just lower your power level a step or more based on your proficiency in the skill.

• Compel Bast Member
      June 10, 2008 at 2:55 pm #7129

From an old post of mine in November.

aset area fambiance
      fambiance means force ambiance.

There’s two levels of detail that I am thinking, one slight more detailed than the other. The first is a uniform ambiance setting of low, medium and high. The other is the same, but has different fambiance values for "light" and "dark" siders.

Currently, awareness, farsight and sensing disturbances essentially always work unless the force power ‘obscure’ is in effect, or a player is set by the imms with hidden force.

Under this new system, these 3 skills would only work to full effectiveness in an area of "low" force ambiance. – For example, Wroona, Lorrd. Conversely, in areas of high force ambiance – places with a lot of life, IE Kashyyyk, Nar Shaddaa, Dagobah, Coruscant, these skills and abilities would rarely work, meaning a forcer could be well hidden there.

The additional complexity of dark/light would follow the same basic idea, however some planets would be of a greater benefit for dark siders than light siders and vice versa. For example, Coruscant in Episode 3 and the Rise of the Empire would have a high, dark ambiance and a low light one. Additionally, there could be assorted bonuses to light/dark siders on those worlds – light powers use less force points on a world with high light ambiance. And if you are on a world "steeped in the dark side" you have more difficulty accessing your powers."

• Rojan QDel Member
      June 10, 2008 at 2:59 pm #7130

Good idea, but I still ALSO like the idea of a new skill.

• Corey Participant
      June 10, 2008 at 4:22 pm #7132

I already think that the use of obscure should only be set for Master level Sith in the first place…I honestly don’t think we need to give them yet another ability to completely block off that they are there…especially at low levels.

• Rojan QDel Member
      June 10, 2008 at 4:23 pm #7133

Obscure applies to a room, not a person. And it only blocks farsight.

• Drel Member
      June 12, 2008 at 11:33 pm #7162

Just have the skill work like the AFK flag does–toggle it on, and your FRC is set to 0, preventing any force skill usage or detection via awareness… making you look like a nonforcer. (EDIT: I still proclaim that the "three versions" is more EU-accurate, and that my two versions one is a better ALTERNATIVE, but they’d require a lot more work than a simple skill-linked flag that doesn’t interfere with anything like a full reworking would).

P.S. I was so close to yelling my usual "ur in my post history, stealin mai ideaz" message before I read the second message. D’oh.

P.P.S. Fambiance would make me cum in my pants. Srsly. Major props on that idea, Compel. However, I think it needs some work; for example, you’re confusing force ambiance with side ambiance. Areas with large amounts of life INCREASED the ability to wield the force. Higher percentages of success, lower FP usage, etc. Areas that were "tainted" would merely overwhelm any presences of the opposite side of the force (Yoda hiding near the cave, etc).

P.P.P.S. The fambiance questions I raised in the last comment are puzzling even to myself. Research time!

• Rojan QDel Member
      June 13, 2008 at 12:08 am #7163

As said, that was the plan. 0 FP, no force skills while ‘concealed’. It’s a starting point to force ambiance areas

• Drel Member
      June 13, 2008 at 12:13 am #7164
      "Rojan QDel":m318xauk wrote:
      As said, that was the plan. 0 FP, no force skills while ‘concealed’. It’s a starting point to force ambiance areas[/quote:m318xauk]
      FRC, not FP. FP set to 0 != as enforceable.
    • Rojan QDel Member
      June 13, 2008 at 12:47 am #7165

How is that not as enforcable? o0 You still have force sensitivity, but your mana is 0 and can’t be regenerated while concealed…so no spells.

• Rojan QDel Member
      June 13, 2008 at 12:54 am #7167

Should conceal force deceive true_examine and know essence too (for hiding your race)?

• Compel Bast Member
      June 13, 2008 at 1:22 am #7170

No. Potentially have a higher level of skill for that though. Potentially.

Also, remember the ‘disguise’ skill exists. We don’t want to supplant that

• Rojan QDel Member
      June 13, 2008 at 1:24 am #7171

The point would be to trick people into seeing through disguises with know essence and true_examine. But I agree, that should be a separate skill.

• Drel Member
      June 13, 2008 at 1:34 am #7172
      "Rojan QDel":5u2okl2l wrote:
      Should conceal force deceive true_examine and know essence too (for hiding your race)?[/quote:5u2okl2l]
      If you are taking the "drawing inward" approach to conceal force, then it should not deceive either of them. No force technique short of an actual illusion would prevent the "body language" approach of True_Examine (I think of it like Face Loran’s magic in Wraith squadron… "You’re from Commenor, you broke your leg in a fall when you were little and had to relearn to walk, and your favorite pizza topping is sausage"). Furthermore, the technique, if even used in an ATTEMPT to counter a force examination of your biology, would thus blow the attempt at remaining SEKRIT and reveal that you’re a force-user.
      However, if you’re taking the Jacen/Vergere "Art of the Small" approach, it -would- stop know essence but not true examine.
      Basically, Qey’Tek (dampening) hides your ability; Art of the Small hides your entire PRESENCE–even if they knew you were a forcer, they wouldn’t be able to hit you with anything short of a wide-area telekinetic shove (which even worked on Vong, so STFU newbs).
      This difference is again why I call for a three-skill stealth system (scroll up to the quote of mine Rojan posted; I’m not reposting).
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.