This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 16 years, 5 months ago by Valens.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Final_Fantasy_Lover Member
      November 14, 2007 at 12:42 pm #321

I heard one of the imms saying a while back that there needed to be a way to put disincentives on the use of heavy armor, and I just thought of one.

Alter the combat has precisely one attack per round. READ THE REST BEFORE YOU JUDGE. Every fifth point in dexterity will then be modified to give one extra attack per round (second_attack will be removed). Lastly, armor will be given an attacks per round modifier.
      Light armor: -0.5 (looses an attack every other round)
      Medium Armor: -1 (one attack every round)
      Heavy Armor: -2 (only launches three attacks every round.

*waits for every combat twink on the mud to start screaming.*

The above will balance out combat more, making heavy armor what it was intended to be: A means of taking a lot of damage, but detracting from how quickly the warrior can deal damage out. Also, it creates a small paradox which would potentially allow a skilled lower-level combatant to take down a higher level combatant, or at least survive the fight.

• Adriav Member
      November 14, 2007 at 3:31 pm #3132

I love it! A much needed buff to hunters with circle and lunge, races with high natural HP, and characters without combat training.

I’m surprised I didn’t think of this myself, sooner.

• Helix Participant
      November 14, 2007 at 3:37 pm #3133

While you’re at it put a cybernetic in that increases attack speed by 25% (R1), 50% (R2), 75% (R3), 100% (R4)

• Valens Participant
      November 15, 2007 at 4:19 am #3149

Unfortunately, Making combat Longer then it already is means dealing with alot of bullshit from players. I mean, I like the concept, I actually had something kind of in mind for that type of system myself. Although, I was thinking of a more Martial arts type of thing.

• Hensworth Member
      November 17, 2007 at 9:01 am #3225

I like this idea, but I can think of a good way to moderate this. Keep second attack and flurry, but have the armor’s negative attack per round modifier affect the effectiveness of these skills. Make every five points in both strength, dexterity, and constitution (so it ends at the lowest of the two) reduce the armors’ negative attack per round modifier.

To defeat the problem with hunters’ lunge and circle, this should apply to melee weapons only, because if you are using ranged weapons such as blasters… how hard is it to aim and pull a trigger as opposed to melee weapons when you have to thrust and parry and slash?

For the problem of low leveled combatants having a potential advantage of getting the upper hand, make amount of combat levels also reduce armors’ negative attack per round modifier. But of course, lower leveled combatants might not have access to the necessary weapon or additional attack skills or any other skills that gives them a upperhand over a professional.

My logic behind this is that while the weight of armor can hinder a person while they fight, so that the rate of fire or attacking is lowered. But at the same time, if a person is strong, fast, and has a lot of endurance, they can be able to resist the weight of the armor to increase their rate of attack. Yet, we also need to take in account the type of weaponry and range of the fighting.

Finally, as for the length of combat, weapons damage should somehow be increased to make HP drain faster. Perhaps add a static bonus damage modifier to weapons, not including the HR/DR bonuses? This still will not defeat the purpose of armor, because someone with better or tougher armor will still have higher AC and maybe HP than one who doesn’t have it at all. After all, it’s quite easy to kill someone with a few blaster shots or cutting off their limbs with a pulsating blade. Reduces spam too.

• Adriav Member
      December 2, 2007 at 8:42 am #3652
      "Hensworth":20jay6p7 wrote:
      I like this idea, but I can think of a good way to moderate this. Keep second attack and flurry, but have the armor’s negative attack per round modifier affect the effectiveness of these skills. Make every five points in both strength, dexterity, and constitution (so it ends at the lowest of the two) reduce the armors’ negative attack per round modifier.[/quote:20jay6p7]
      25 str/25 dex/25 con is common and easy to achieve with most combat-capable races. Since the primary melee users are hunters, the +5 dex from limber makes it even easier.

To defeat the problem with hunters’ lunge and circle, this should apply to melee weapons only, because if you are using ranged weapons such as blasters… how hard is it to aim and pull a trigger as opposed to melee weapons when you have to thrust and parry and slash?[/quote:20jay6p7]
      So it primarily affects hunters who are attacking non-blade users? Good, but it doesn’t solve the problem.

In melee vs. blaster/unarmed combat, lunge and circle practically negate the armor penalty. Heavy armor is worth the attack penalty almost all the time.

In melee vs. melee combat, extra attacks aren’t particularly advantageous when they’re parried and countered. Heavy armor wins again.

For the problem of low leveled combatants having a potential advantage of getting the upper hand, make amount of combat levels also reduce armors’ negative attack per round modifier. But of course, lower leveled combatants might not have access to the necessary weapon or additional attack skills or any other skills that gives them a upperhand over a professional.[/quote:20jay6p7]
      I wasn’t concerned with them winning fights so much as soaking damage better than trained combatants. An armored engineer can easily turn the tide of a battle as it is.

My logic behind this is that while the weight of armor can hinder a person while they fight, so that the rate of fire or attacking is lowered. But at the same time, if a person is strong, fast, and has a lot of endurance, they can be able to resist the weight of the armor to increase their rate of attack. Yet, we also need to take in account the type of weaponry and range of the fighting.[/quote:20jay6p7]

QFT.

Finally, as for the length of combat, weapons damage should somehow be increased to make HP drain faster. Perhaps add a static bonus damage modifier to weapons, not including the HR/DR bonuses? This still will not defeat the purpose of armor, because someone with better or tougher armor will still have higher AC and maybe HP than one who doesn’t have it at all. After all, it’s quite easy to kill someone with a few blaster shots or cutting off their limbs with a pulsating blade. Reduces spam too.[/quote:20jay6p7]
      The problem is that combat rounds last a year and a day.
    • Valens Participant
      December 6, 2007 at 5:22 am #3783

Well disected, Adriav.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.