Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Building Weapons and Tuning Ships
This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 16 years, 3 months ago by Venengo.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Hensworth Member
      January 11, 2008 at 4:44 am #429

From what I have heard, even when you are mastered in the engineering skill and related sciences as well as using the "ideal" materials to construct a blade or a blaster, the end result varies. So one blade or blaster you produce will be less or more effective than the next one even with the same materials and level of mastery. If that is so, I think that it would be nice if the end results were the same. After all, you don’t see an auto manufacturing factory pump out various qualities of the same model cars (sure, there are defective ones but not regularly). It’s absurd doing the same things with the same things and getting a different result each time.

This is the same for tuning ships. There are various quotas that can be got after tuning the same ship designs despite having mastered sciences and tuneship skill. Why is that?

• Flincher14 Member
      January 11, 2008 at 12:47 pm #4206

Currently all blasters have a damage cap of 618, it doesn’t matter if one master blaster is slightly worse then another because they all reach the cap.

• Tsol Participant
      January 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm #4219

It is still random, random avdam, random hit/dam, random ammo, albeit between two or three settings for ammo and hit/dam at least.

Real engineers are not manufacturing factories with computers and machines that make the same thing over and over again until you change the program or whatever, so it is completely different. Random is good, but it would be cool if you could specify what kind of blaster you could make and have some two handed blasters. Maybe something that can be discussed on the other threads about science.

• Flincher14 Member
      January 11, 2008 at 11:48 pm #4221
      "Tsol":wsy0zu8o wrote:
      It is still random, random avdam, random hit/dam, random ammo, albeit between two or three settings for ammo and hit/dam at least.

Real engineers are not manufacturing factories with computers and machines that make the same thing over and over again until you change the program or whatever, so it is completely different. Random is good, but it would be cool if you could specify what kind of blaster you could make and have some two handed blasters. Maybe something that can be discussed on the other threads about science.[/quote:wsy0zu8o]

I have already subbmitted an idea about this, having customizable things that would affect a weapon, like handles, scopes etc..But I have gotten no reply on it but having it submitted would add for alot more customization. We need a set description, command for items I’d like to be able to examine an item and see what it looks like and stuff, sucks having one long name trying to explain an X-700 blaster? whats that?!?!

• Hensworth Member
      January 13, 2008 at 2:09 am #4229
      "Tsol":3udkn1m1 wrote:
      Real engineers are not manufacturing factories with computers and machines that make the same thing over and over again until you change the program or whatever, so it is completely different. Random is good, but it would be cool if you could specify what kind of blaster you could make and have some two handed blasters. Maybe something that can be discussed on the other threads about science.[/quote:3udkn1m1]

Yes, engineers arn’t manufacturing factories. But they are supposed to design things and supervise things’ construction, not personally build (or mass produce) them. However, in the game they are partly "manufacturing factories" because who or what else builds them (besides imms, and they conjure them up)? Robotics are supposed to be building all these ships, comlinks, shield generators, blasters, flashlights, etc. But even if it’s engineers or robotics that are manufacturing these, the construction materials and way things are built according to design remain constant. Thus, these two factors should mean that the outcome should turn out relatively the same. Back in the day when Ford had people-manned assembly lines, the models they churned out probably didn’t come out with so much variation. And today when Boeing personnel work on F-22s those probably (hopefully, for the sake of the pilots piloting them) won’t come out with so much variation. And these are much more complex than firearms and knives.

I disagree that randomness in this situation is good because it is quite frustrating to purchase a large amount of material and build hundreds of blades and blasters just to be able to get that one good one. If the costs of the best materials were to greatly increase to make up for the removal of such randomness, then that would be quite fine. Perhaps even increase the selection of materials, each that will definitely and consistently affect the end product. So one material may increase DR, but lower HR, while another lowers ammunition capacity but increases DR. Maybe one affects rate of fire to slow or quick. This creates some sort of balance and specification in weapons. So one could have a blaster design that has less ammunition and accuracy for more damage. And someone else could use a blaster design that has more accuracy, more damage, but way way less ammunition. And RPly, they can be classified as pistols, heavy pistols, carbines, rifles, sniper rifles, light repeaters, heavy repeaters, etc. Which then translates into people having specialized tools thus themselves being specialized.

However, I do like your idea that specifying blasters like how armor is sorta specified as well is nice. But that could be solved by my suggestion above. And being able to write up a description for a weapon would be nice too.

• Onasaki Participant
      January 13, 2008 at 2:59 am #4231

I’ve sent in several ideas like this, but could never go into spec. I’d like to see more specified blasters, I dislike seeing people run amuck wielding two E-11 Blaster Rifles.

• OckofLydor Member
      January 14, 2008 at 7:32 am #4253

Blasters all have the same damage cap, yes, but based on different variables (user’s blaster proficiency, quality of the blaster) determines how often that blaster hits for that cap, and how much ammo the blaster can hold, both very important within PVP.

For example, some blasters can stun another player on the first try and some may take quite a few more. For someone trying to ambush someone, that could be the deciding factor in a fight.

• Flincher14 Member
      January 14, 2008 at 1:06 pm #4255
      "OckofLydor":3jpkcza7 wrote:
      Blasters all have the same damage cap, yes, but based on different variables (user’s blaster proficiency, quality of the blaster) determines how often that blaster hits for that cap, and how much ammo the blaster can hold, both very important within PVP.

For example, some blasters can stun another player on the first try and some may take quite a few more. For someone trying to ambush someone, that could be the deciding factor in a fight.[/quote:3jpkcza7]

90% of people now use the stun setting cause they can hands down win a fight within the first round, then just kill you afterwards, no reason for lethal blast.

• Flek Participant
      February 18, 2008 at 8:40 am #4879

618 damage cap yes but at what cost, if you are lucky enough you can get 618’s on almost every hit at normal setting saveing you alot of ammo.

• Kebron Participant
      February 18, 2008 at 9:14 am #4883

I’m definately onboard with the ‘making an more standardized model.’ cuz really all the randomness does is make production more expensive if you want competitive equipment and forces people to spend more time running cargo/killing NPC’s so they can look whatever part they’ve chosen than actually RPing that part.

• Venengo Member
      February 18, 2008 at 10:48 pm #4891

They definatly do need to make it so results are more exact when you are creating things like this, even if its at a penalty like one poster suggested. As it is you have to usually make blasters and vibroblades even in batches of 100 and 200 just to select 10 or so that are up to a decent standard of quality, and that is after you have done all the testing with the variety of component combinations to figure out which is the best(as it is now blaster recipies are jealously guarded secrets even with variation). Thats fairly insane considering it is potentially easier and more cost effecient to make full out spaceships since both the building and upgrading is contstant even if the exact tuning varies a bit.

And by the way, while stun setting can be extremely nice, not only are a lot of mobs set to be stun resistant once the imms notice the need, but also from what i’ve seen people who are wearing armor are if not entirely immune to stun, pretty damned close. IE you need to try many many rounds to get them stunned and even if it actually works how much damage have they dealt you or how far have they run by then.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.