Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Add hard to read accents to rule 13
This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 3 months ago by Athrun.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
    • Kirash Participant
      October 6, 2016 at 11:57 am #28553

Completely missing the point. I stated again and again that I don’t feel like there should be a hard rule on the way people talk ICly, but rather common sense and issues handled on a case by case basis.

The only reason the names thing got brought up was because I felt like if you made a hard rule where gibberish (using the example as being unintelligible to screen readers, a situation I sympathize with) was not allowed at all, where would the line be drawn and imagined that eventually someone would start complaining about character names being unreadable to screen readers. Fishy brought up invoking help names on people like that to which I responded with what I did regarding help names.

tl;dr – Yeah sorry for the minor derail. No hard rule, compromise, case-by-case.

• Xerakon Moderator
      October 6, 2016 at 2:51 pm #28554

disagree, it adds creativity and atmosphere. They are still talking English, the language, just writing an accent in – which they are roleplaying based on an actual accent in most cases. If you can’t understand them, like maybe you wouldn’t IRL either if someone with a REALLY deep southern drawl or somewhere you are unfamiliar with, then maybe IC your response should be “Huh? Say that again?” or something like that just as it would be IRL. I don’t agree with taking away RP opportunities, even as seemingly small as accents.

I don’t think you’re getting the primary point, which you didn’t respond to at all: The problem is that our blind players with screen readers have the biggest problems with being able to figure it out. It may look ICly cute and whatever and a sighted person can put it together. But if you’ve ever had to do true audio transcription, then you’ll know how annoying and time consuming it is to rewind 20 times just to get a sentence. And that’s when someone’s speaking close to normal and not random shit spouting out of your speakers.

To me, it is not a “eh, that’s annoying to read. change it”, the matter is that is puts LotJ’s blind players at a serious disadvantage because you’re doing something that is not actually necessary when we have tones to convey quick talking. Accentsss arr one thang. Butunnecessaryshitlikethis that just fucks with people that play muds because it is one of the games with little visual handicaps.. well, I’d rather discourage that as much as we can and not alienate them by doing stupid shit when you know it messes with their software. If you’re fine with knowingly being an asshole to a good chunk of our players, then by all means, please continue.

• Claudius Participant
      October 6, 2016 at 3:01 pm #28557

For the record, when I’m here, I actually crack down on the ridiculous names before they get into the IC world.

• Ilyena Participant
      January 24, 2017 at 11:36 am #28832

Please add the ridiculous ‘Mandalorian’ language that people speak to this list. If you want to speak Mandalorian then ask for a coded Mandoa language. Don’t write in words that the player themselves isn’t going to know what they mean, even if they’re playing a Mandalorian.

• Zeromus Participant
      January 24, 2017 at 4:38 pm #28833

That is already against the rules. Please report that if you see it.

• bagz Participant
      January 24, 2017 at 6:16 pm #28834

lol when I saw this thread get necro’d I figured it was your gf on your phone again Zero

• Zakattack Participant
      January 27, 2017 at 2:00 am #28844

As someone who does this on a current character(but not before now), the thought of a screenreader having trouble didn’t cross my mind, so I apologize to you blind folks. I’m not gonna stop, but I can definitely tone it down a bit.

I don’t personally think it should be a flat rule againist it, but to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Because while annoying, it does add a lot of flavor to the mud, and I don’t think there should be a blanket ban just because some people are grossly exaggerating an accent.

• Xerakon Moderator
      January 27, 2017 at 9:55 am #28845

I don’t personally think it should be a flat rule againist it, but to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Because while annoying, it does add a lot of flavor to the mud, and I don’t think there should be a blanket ban just because some people are grossly exaggerating an accent.

Yes. People running their words together or spacing them out to the point where our blind population – and sighted players that don’t want to spend time trying to break out individual words – cannot understand what people are saying adds a lot of flavor to the mud.

• Zakattack Participant
      January 27, 2017 at 10:29 am #28847

And why can’t that be dealt with on a case-by-case basis? I’m thankful I’ve never runintothis o r t h i s in-game, ’cause that would make me tear my hair out with or without a screen reader.

But I don’t see why adding a shitton of (…) after every word, adding extra syllables where there shouldn’t be, or spelling words slightly different to add a bit of an accent should be completely against the rules. Maybe I’m reading into what you guys are annoyed with too much, I dunno.

I’ve started dicking around with a screen-reader just to make sure I’m not too incomprehensible, and the one that comes with MUSHClient is actually pretty good at reading.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I want a rule, just not a strict one. Maybe make it like restrings; there are some big no-no’s which are reported and taken care of pretty quickly, but generally as long as no one reports it, the rule is pretty flexible. I dunno, I’m running on 2 hours of sleep so I can’t process anything at the moment.

Cheers.

• Athrun Participant
      January 29, 2017 at 9:06 am #28849

I have run into the ‘spacingallwordstogetherbecausesomeonethinksit’sfunny’ issue. I find it incredibly annoying, and I’m not even blind. However I feel it should be simply pointed out to the IMMs, and them tell the player to knock it off. As for other accents, I think most of them are comprehensible, and putting up a hard fast rule that you can’t ‘speak…like this…’ would also be too extreme and pedantic, because I’m pretty sure a screen reader can read that. Not completely sure about accents and changing spellings of words to sound different, but Zak might be able to figure it out with his screen reader test thing.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.