Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium We need emote name tokens.
This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 2 months ago by Rojan QDel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Xavier Keymaster
      March 21, 2009 at 2:40 am #1026

This was just brought up the other night in-game, and I figure we need another post about it. Here’s how it’d work;

When using the ’emote’ command, encasing a word in brackets (such as <this>), it will replace the encased word with a dub reference for the mob that it matches. For example:

[code:24vj8233]
      Walldo is standing here.
      HumanFemaleDub is sneaking around here.

emote strides over to <wal>, leaning in closely as he keeps his gaze focused on <humanfem>. "What do you think?" he asks curiously.
      [/code:24vj8233]

Now if someone else with no dubs or greets sees that, it would appear:

[code:24vj8233]
      A Human Male strides over to A Human Male, leaning in closely as he keeps his gaze focused on A Human Female. "What do you think?" he asks curiously.
      [/code:24vj8233]

If you included a token that was not found, the emote would not go through, returning an error message instead.

• Walldo Keymaster
      March 21, 2009 at 2:59 am #9459

This is something that’s been brought up a lot. All I can say is, ‘yup.’

• Rojan QDel Member
      March 21, 2009 at 5:29 am #9460

I agree. Someone should code them. (It’s not as easy as it sounds)

• Inactive
      March 21, 2009 at 5:48 am #9461

Yes.

Is it possible to take an RPI codebase with it already in (Maybe find a smaug/circlish derivative) and model it from that?

Objects should definitely be included, too.

• Anastasius Member
      March 21, 2009 at 7:37 am #9462
      "Rojan QDel":26oy1nfg wrote:
      I agree. Someone should code them. (It’s not as easy as it sounds)[/quote:26oy1nfg]
      Im no coder by any means so please tell me if im wrong. But couldnt we use the target code from sayto. It looks for an argument after sayto so you would use the same target code in emote emote blah blah b lah *argument * would activate the target code and look for the player in the room if said player isnt there get the same as sayto fail.

Like I said im no coder so please please tell me why this would or would not work

• Xavier Keymaster
      March 21, 2009 at 8:25 am #9463
      "Anastasius":syt9w95b wrote:
      "Rojan QDel":syt9w95b wrote:
      I agree. Someone should code them. (It’s not as easy as it sounds)[/quote:syt9w95b]
      Im no coder by any means so please tell me if im wrong. But couldnt we use the target code from sayto. It looks for an argument after sayto so you would use the same target code in emote emote blah blah b lah *argument * would activate the target code and look for the player in the room if said player isnt there get the same as sayto fail.

Like I said im no coder so please please tell me why this would or would not work[/quote:syt9w95b]

The main difference here is that sayto is a command that requires two simple arguments; who to say it to and what to say. Those are both very easily handled. The tokens, however, become a little more tricky but still possible. You’d just have to parse the string of the social and capture everything in between brackets, and then send them through whatever matching-function you have to pair it to the mobs in the room.

• Anastasius Member
      March 21, 2009 at 9:03 am #9464

You dont have to have brackets cause I have seen it done. I do not remember the mud but the did use asterix.

Emote $n hugs *Sara.

A human male hugs A human female.

Like I said sayto is a different command then say but with same result and since the target already has the he she it you race title it seems it should be able to work for emote.

• Xavier Keymaster
      March 21, 2009 at 8:21 pm #9465
      "Anastasius":9fpf0lmx wrote:
      You dont have to have brackets cause I have seen it done. I do not remember the mud but the did use asterix.

Emote $n hugs *Sara.

A human male hugs A human female.

Like I said sayto is a different command then say but with same result and since the target already has the he she it you race title it seems it should be able to work for emote.[/quote:9fpf0lmx]

Well, it doesn’t really matter if it’s an asterisk or brackets, both will still require parsing the string. An easier, but not quite as functional method, would be to have an emoteto command that would take another argument in its syntax.

[code:9fpf0lmx]
      emoteto ana puts his arm around $s. "It’s gonna be all right," he says quietly.
      [/code:9fpf0lmx]

That would make it easier on the programming end, but it’s not quite as elegant or functional as the original suggestion.

• Rojan QDel Member
      March 22, 2009 at 4:44 am #9469

Emoteto would be relatively easy. What codebase had the *Name?

• Drel Member
      March 22, 2009 at 3:36 pm #9480
      "Rojan QDel":uvfvrgef wrote:
      I agree. Someone should code them. (It’s not as easy as it sounds)[/quote:uvfvrgef]
      You couldn’t just yoink the EXACT SAME FUNCTIONALITY from the prog code?
    • Walldo Keymaster
      March 22, 2009 at 9:30 pm #9484

I typo’d $n in an emote just now and I got this message

[quote:22fbwely]You cannot put any variable tokens except $n or $q<Name> into the emote string!
      [/quote:22fbwely]

Trying $qDrel just gave me ‘sDrel’. This might be something to look into!

• Troll Participant
      March 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm #9486
      "Walldo":1y6pvcu3 wrote:

[quote:1y6pvcu3]You cannot put any variable tokens except $n or $q<Name> into the emote string!
      [/quote:1y6pvcu3]

Trying $qDrel just gave me ‘sDrel’. This might be something to look into![/quote:1y6pvcu3]

Neat!

• Rojan QDel Member
      March 23, 2009 at 12:06 am #9488

RJ, Progs use a completely different system from emotes. And no, the two pieces of code are not interchangeable. Shadows of Isildur may help, though.

• Locksharp Participant
      March 23, 2009 at 2:09 am #9492
      "Walldo":6ha1lfjy wrote:

[quote:6ha1lfjy]You cannot put any variable tokens except $n or $q<Name> into the emote string!
      [/quote:6ha1lfjy]

Trying $qDrel just gave me ‘sDrel’. This might be something to look into![/quote:6ha1lfjy]

The thing is, when I saw this tested in front of me, what was used was the person’s code name, and not the dub they’d given me. ( Much like how various progs in the Marazzo work ) So… >_> I figured that might be worth mentioning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.