This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 5 months ago by Zakattack.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • bagz Participant
      November 16, 2015 at 11:07 am #27338

I’m imagining a salvage skill for engineering.

salvage <object>
      you have a % chance of recovering “scraps” of the primary ingredients
      (i.e 3 scraps of durasteel) etc and then you can either turn them in somewhere
      or convert them yourself when you get say 10 of them into 1 of the actual object.

Would keep trash off the floor and give young engi’s a way to save on their training mats.

There could be special salvage kits that increase your yield or perhaps give a % chance for
      recovering the entire piece or a rarer material or something.

Thoughts?

Maybe you could sell salvage scraps to junk dealers for a low credit payout and some xp or something.

• bagz Participant
      November 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm #27340

KAM thinks its too much coding… so what if it was an area that got added in near the workshops that had a prog that let you salvage… thats not outside the realm of possibility with progs.

• KoolAidMan Participant
      November 16, 2015 at 12:58 pm #27341

The prog would need to know what the item was made of to return the right items. It wouldn’t be able to return the specific vnum, but generic ‘scraps’ as you say, /could/ work in theory. If you can prog it to know what type of item it is, then a rand prog to determine what get’s returned. The question is, “Is this really necessary and will it add value to the mud”

My personal opinion on that is “No, and not much”

But I am not adamantly opposed to it.

• bagz Participant
      November 16, 2015 at 5:23 pm #27345

well no constructive feedback is bad feedback! thanks for your input!

• Paco Participant
      November 16, 2015 at 7:10 pm #27346

Could just make a credit incentive. Have a scrap command that gives you “a handful of scraps(1)”, or more than just one handful, depending on the itemtype. Then you could sell these scraps at a vendor (likely a pawn shop) for credits. I’ve no idea how easy this would be code-wise, though. Obviously the more complicated it becomes, the more complicated it is to code.

• Ryken Participant
      November 16, 2015 at 7:38 pm #27347

You COULD do it with progs, but it’d be better as a skill, that way you can adept it, have it affected by sciences, etc.

How I’d probably design it:
      It’s a skill, research it to 90, critical failures possible that just junk the item completely into garbage.

Make the basic “salvage (item)” component reduce the item into scrap based on a few scenarios.
      1. If it’s a crafted item, based on its item type, you have a chance to recover one of the components used to create that type of item. So if its a flashlight for example, you salvage it, you may get 2x scrap and a “small rusted battery” or a “smudged lens” or a “corax high density battery”, you can weight the scrap tables based on the value of the possible components, so that IF you get a component it’s more than likely a middling component, but hey sometimes you scrap the armor and get a chunk of usable malatite, that’d be neat.

2. You could “salvage scrap” when you have 30x scrap to turn the scrap into some type of finished component, or a tchotchke that you can turn in to some engineer for a prize, xp, credits, use them as currency on SPECIAL HIGH QUALITY ENGINEERING components, or even unlock new skills, like purchasing a book of schematics for making…… rocket launchers? I don’t know, jetpacks? Whatever you can think of. It’d literally unlock new make(x) skills upon reading, which have new quality recipes to ferret out.

3. If you salvage quest and vendor items, static game items, you have a chance to yank special components based on the item type, especially quest items. So if you salvage say a kerestrian blood ring, you have a chance to yank a special crystal from it that’s useful for blaster or lightsaber crafting, etc.

Just some ideas.

• bagz Participant
      November 16, 2015 at 8:20 pm #27348

ryken gets me.

• Zakattack Participant
      November 18, 2015 at 2:24 am #27349

this feels like it would bring back combine, imo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.