Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Forced Language Selection
This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 3 months ago by Corey.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Corey Participant
      July 6, 2013 at 9:39 pm #22075

Why is it mandatory to have a species’ language forced on them from the start? What about the Zabrak that grew up as an orphan on Coruscant, do you really think they’d know Zabraki first and not Basic? Its not like they’re born with this knowledge. This basically kills off a language choice for anything that doesn’t start with Basic as their main language. I’d like to see at creation, characters start with zero languages and if you want to learn your species language, so be it.

• Delk Member
      July 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm #22077

Agreed. Unless its a racial tongue that only they can speak. It removes far to much RP forcing everyone to know their racial language, as corey stated. We cannot really RP being from different places due to it.Well we can. It just does not make any sense.

• Hashi Participant
      July 9, 2013 at 6:16 pm #22079

I’ll think about it.

• Corey Participant
      July 9, 2013 at 10:42 pm #22080

Thanks for the insightful thoughts Ralen, you really helped move this discussion along to a good place. I appreciate the input.

• Bai Participant
      July 11, 2013 at 6:50 pm #22081

^ this

• Walldo Keymaster
      July 11, 2013 at 9:30 pm #22082

Having every character come out of chargen speaking zero languages is a bad idea.

• Corey Participant
      July 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm #22083

Doesn’t take very much to get around that. Put the language trainer in the very first room and it doesn’t let you out until you’ve selected a language.  Or even have you select your starter language IN the character creation, you pick hair and skin color, why not languages? At one point a while back there was discussion of overhauling the language system. There has also been discussion about changing up the newbie academy some, just like the current nOOb acdemy, there will need to be a languages/channels room.

• Cronlan Participant
      July 11, 2013 at 10:45 pm #22084

People already fail at playing their races, let’s make it even easier for people to justify RPing their race as a different-looking human.

• Siradril Participant
      January 19, 2014 at 10:47 pm #23386

Bump –

I really don’t understand why you guys are so much against this idea. There can be races that have been born on an entirely different planet where the common language is entirely something else. A Lorrdian may claim to be a Corellian if they were born and raised there but by race and origin they are still a Lorrdian. What could possibly harm us or others if people pretended to be something else? Besides it makes for good rp.

To find an even more simpler solution to this, think of the chargen. Add language to it as if picking a hair color or skin color, you have the ability to limit the choices based on race. If it is Wookiee, Geonosian, Jawa etc then they can only pick their own language to start with. If it is a different race that is able to speak any language, then they can pick whatever language they want.
      (Obviously excluding languages such as Shyriiwook to ensure they do not pick a language they cannot use to speak with others unless they belong to the race that uses it)

• Ralen Keymaster
      January 19, 2014 at 11:19 pm #23411

Revisited: No.

• Logan Participant
      January 20, 2014 at 3:43 am #23435

I tend to agree with Ralen and Walldo on this, you’d have too many problems with new players not understanding any languages and just asking questions anyway. If your selected race has a low int then thats your problem, work with it. Most of the time you get a minimum of 3 languages, which in my books is too many languages regardless. If you want more languages then get the feats that let you learn more than your allotment. This’ a pointless waste of time recoding something that isn’t broken.

• Viduus Member
      January 20, 2014 at 4:41 am #23436

Guys, my wookie was raised on Correlia so he speaks Galactic Basic. Accept me please.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.