Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Develop and Engineering Clans
This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Delk.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • ccubed Participant
      April 5, 2014 at 11:26 am #23944

This is probably not gonna be a popular suggestion but I’m going to make it anyways.

Statement of Intent

The intention of this idea is to foster an environment in which Engineering Clans are no longer pre-supplied clans. They are created by people ICly and through the capturing of resources and brokering of deals with the major governmental clans.
      It takes develop away from being the sole property of major clans (because it’s not like they’re the only ones who can afford develop) and puts it in the hands of any group with the time and money to invent something new.
      It makes engineering clans more relavent by making them the sole source of engineering and ship making developments and allows the major governmental clans to focus on being major governmental clans.

Statement of Reasoning

Traditionally, governments do very little of their own research. They research by funding the research of other third party groups. Governments also do very little of their own production and instead contract with third party companies to make what they need. In a modern example, we paid Lockheed Martin to make the F-16. We then paid them to produce it. The government of the United States didn’t actually develop the F-16, they simply funded it and provided a direction to the company.
      In a series example, the Kuat Shipyards weren’t actually part of the Empire. It’s true that the Imperials utilized the station, but the company there, Kuat Drive Yards, was the one actually doing all the work. The Empire simply funded their shipyard and provided a direction to KDY. Many planets did this actually and before the Imperials KDY provided ships to the Republic. KDY also sold many ships and weapons to other world leaders for defense purposes.

Bullet Point List of Suggestions
    • Remove Develop from Governmental Clans (GR, Empire, Hapans, etc)
    • Make 3 shipyards
    • Each Shipyard can be captured and contested by groups
    • Anyone can use develop, but they still need to follow the log and think rules
    • All engineering clans must come from formclan
      • Detailed Explanations

Remove Develop from Governmental Clans – The fact is that since clans can develop, they really don’t need engineering clans. In some Eras, engineering clans rely entirely on the private sector for their profit and a lot of times there are only so many people to sell to and it leads to stagnation. In reality, governments really shouldn’t be using develop to begin with. That’s not their purpose. They have planets and people to govern, they should be leasing their developing out to other people. Sign a contract with Incom or the Trade Federation for exclusive use of their facilities. I’m sure the engineering clans won’t mind. And if there’s an era where both engineering clans refuse to support the government? Well, you shouldn’t have any technology.

Make 3 Shipyards – Who says that every engineering clan needs to buildships? Who says that every engineering clan needs to make weapons? Incom was a largely ship producing engineering clan in canon. KDY also focused mainly on ship engineering but had a couple weapons on the side. Corellian Engineering Company was focused on cargo ships and shielding technology. So on and So forth. Each engineering clan does not need to have the same focuses. Merrson for instance never made ships, they only made weapons and that was okay. They had some of the best weapons in the galaxy at the time while other people were making the best ships. To facilitate that, make 3 shipyards. Only three engineering clans can makeships and they have to fight for and defend their shipyard. Whether these shipyards are in space or on the surface of planets I leave up to imms to decide.

Each Shipyard can be captured and contested by group – Following the above, each shipyard should be contestable. That is, another engineering clan could attempt to capture one of the shipyards for their own purposes. Given how blueprints work with custom ships, I imagine this should only be possible given build up to it and think logs so that the imms aren’t suddenly surprised by the addition of a new clan in the shipyard. However, the idea is that by making them contestable it will encourage three things. 1) Engineering Clan Competition, 2) Engineering Clans making contracts with other clans for defense, 3) Specialization. That is that it would make engineering clans think twice about capturing a shipyard and make them more than just ‘those giant ship producers.’

Anyone can use develop, but they still need to follow the log and think rules – The fact of the matter is that very few actual developments occur in each era. Having been in an engineering clan in many eras, most of the time on develop is spent arguing about which area to focus in. By allowing anyone with a group, the time, credits and the logs to develop it should lead to more developments. I understand that part of the reason develop is restricted is so that the imms could easily distribute those created parts. For that reason, I do think that develop should still only be useable by a recognized ‘clan.’ Or at the least, that someone who is using the develop command should own a shop so the imms can put it on a private vendor. However, I could understand the need to hold develop to a clan made by formclan. So take this as more of a dream suggestion where I understand that some regulation needs to occur for the sanity of the imms.

All engineering clans must come from formclan – Self explanatory. All engineering clans have to be made ICly through the era and by using formclan. Why? Because this will separate the lazy from the men. And if someone goes through the effort to create a clan using formclan, they’re probably gonna stick with it and be less likely to drive it into the ground because of boredom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.