Legends of the Jedi Forums General Chat Coming April 12: The New Timeline
This topic has 65 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Zeromus.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
    • Oteri Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 9:18 am #21396

I think I know what the problem is. You are getting LotJ’s troll factory mixed up with romanticized ideas of salvation and betrayal. What you need to know is this:

“I be evil. I keel u Jedai cuz u r not my fwend.”

“No, u can be gooder once more! i can has saving you!”

“o noes, our jedi (or sith as the case may be) be killdeded. spaaaacceee baaaattttllleee tiiiiimmmeee!”

• Quicksilver Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 10:52 am #21397

Peeps on lotj get a little happy with the perms. The best way to fix this is find out who will be ‘that guy’ then perm them out until they’re encouraged to try a different character archetype.

• daevos Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 11:12 am #21398

PK is fine, but when it comes to important roles I think it should be more judged on their rp. Like I said, I  messed up earlier on but two people that been here the longest kind of told me where my flaws were and I fixed them when it came to jedi rp.

Jedi is no doubt harder than the two but it should be, I mean it’s easy being bad but  it takes the test of the soul to be good.

• Corey Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 11:51 am #21399

Daevos, you sound a lot like I did when I first started. During my first year or so on LOTJ, I witnessed some of the absolute worst Jedi RP I could imagine, even though I’m told it’s not even close. I ran an engineering company and a Jedi demanded a set of perfect armor at a very low rate. When I couldn’t produce the armor, they made threats and cut down the doors to the base and demanded I keep doing it until it was accomplished. Then when I reported it to the Jedi Counsel, they lied and said no such thing happened and that I must have cut down my own door to help make up the story. This was on top of another Jedi demanding that I give them a Corvette (I say give, because the rate they offered to buy it at was about 5% of the value) and when I didn’t, they said that they were going to inform everyone in the Jedi and Republic to never shop with us again. These were both Jedi, not Sith, I know this because eventually when the Republic and Jedi broke in to start using my base as their own shipyard, I joined the Sith.

After this incident, I vowed that I’d do whatever I could to increase Jedi RP so that it wasn’t so off anymore. I think, though I could be wrong, this was what led me to getting my first Jedi via the application process. Since then I’ve seen a steady wave of Jedi RP, I say wave because it goes up and goes down. Honestly, it seems to depend on the players themselves and if they hold themselves to a higher standard or not. Also, its extremely hard to be full on “good guy” on LOTJ since its a position of being damned if you do, damned if you don’t. You get yelled at for not doing everyone’s work since you can accomplish it the easiest, and you get yelled at FOR doing the work since it involved getting your hands dirty. I think this is also why SOOOOO many players swing their Jedi to the Dark side, its just easier to be bad.

So overall, I think the best one can hope for out of Jedi on LOTJ is for them to just not be an asshat and try to stay within the realm of their part.

• daevos Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 11:54 am #21400

Like, it’s weird after playing Kotor it seems like I now know how jedi should be played (( wished I played it before I rolled force) Like people ask my character why are you helping me an dthey’re like because it’s the right thing to do.

I think that’s true jedi rp right there, doing things for the sake of others because it is the right thing to do

• daevos Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 11:57 am #21401

Also, when you look at how the jedi reacts to things when Kreia tells them no or  even the exile who instead of being trialed for treason was exiled from the order  and not permed

ANyways that’s my thoughts of it.

• Walldo Keymaster
      March 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm #21402

Oteri, your self-congratulating “all forcers are terrible roleplayers LOL” isn’t helping anything. If you have suggestions, share them. If you have opinions on the matter share them, but stop being a condescending a-hole and degrading everyone who has played a forcer. Your track record isn’t exactly perfect to put you on this high of a horse.

Also trolling doesn’t exist.

• Trayn Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm #21403

I’ve play a few Jedi and people keep telling me I’m a OK role player on then, so not all people who play Jedi are bad,

• Kebron Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 4:22 pm #21406

Alot seems to have to do with the nature of a game. In sw u see everything from all angles so u know motive and there are clear good/bad guys in lotj you cant know without going ooc so its easy to find two “good” jedi on opposite sides both trying to make filet mignon iut of pig shit. Add tht in the starwars universe jedi ARE the military so you dont have rank issues (thts the entire premis of the first 3 movies and y the clone army was vital) and tht in sw jedi r treated with respect and defference if not outright distrust and fear wheras in lotj it seems they get treated more with disdain thn anything else and you end up with an interesting oaradox where being “good” can put u at odds with everyone else including other good guys. Sry for typos, shitty android phone.

• daevos Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 4:48 pm #21407

The Jedi really aren’t suppose to be the Military, which is why certain people from the order left it  during the clone wars because they felt that the jedi were no longer following the code byu taking up war.

I dunno, I think from an rp stand point jedi should avoid doing things that seem douche bagery from bullying, to killing prisoners and need to be called out and removed by people icly like zero mentioned in our lively debate

• Kebron Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 5:09 pm #21408

Watch the starting titles of episode 1 and episode 2. The Jedi WERE the military. Sure in SW there were hundreds to thousands of republic worlds and hundreds of thousands of Jedi but you hafta figure 1 jedi=20ish ground troops so they were spread thin (thats pretty much what is said in the opening credits) The Jedi tried to keep things in order via diplomacy but were feared and distrusted because they would take martial action if necessary.

I don’t think Jedi left the order because they disagreed with violence jedi were trained from infancy in most cases so as a whole they were a very uniform bunch you see the rogues and rascals in the movies because thats what Americans like to watch, we love anti -heroes like Quigon Jinn but in reality they were probebly alot more run of the mill scientific types. I also feel that jedi adhered more to the “Greater good” Ethics model than any other seeing as at times the Jedi council took courses of action that could be comparable to downright evil (Using a witless clone army with no concern for the fact that they were sentient beings and throwing them at the enemy as cannon fodder for instance, also snatching babies away from their families against the families will to train them as Jedi rather than see them develope on their own and become Sith, and  culling people who did not meet their strict social standard at a young age virtually shunning them while still keeping close tabs on them to ensure that they did not become Jedi etc) A rather standard background I think would involve something along the lines of “Taken from parents in early childhood, trained, found lacking, rejected from the order and retrained as a librarian.” You didn’t get a choice in it, hence the fear and distrust. Jedi worked for greater good not individual good. They were responsible for the destruction of countless civilizations and cultures sometimes on accident sometimes on purpose and collateral damage was high.

Honestly if you want to see more uniformity in clans and in PK what you SHOULD ask people to app for is a human resources position. Internal affairs type job where you review the performance of those around you and reward/punish as necessary. It only takes a couple of ignorants to make a whole clan look absolutely stupid. Blow up a couple civilians running cargo when you decide to start a blockade and that becomes a public relations nightmare. If you had someone to follow up behind the scenes and go “Ok Admiral Alton why did you shoot down soucabs07 over corellia on the morning of the 8th killing four unknown people?” If the answer is satisfactory and in line with the clans credo’s then job well done heres your reward, if the answer is unsatisfactory you get demoted/wages garnered/administrative punishment (Maybe you have to pull guard duty on the quartermaster for a week and aren’t allowed to fly again til the time is up?) As it stands you have alot of people both good and bad fumbling around in the dark with no frame of refference for who is good and who is bad and theres really no consequence short of being permed so everything falls in black and white and escalates far too quickly. You end up with 1 member of a clan making everyone else look evil til eventually someone spyapps and kills them themselves or the clan falls apart. I know my solution isn’t perfect and I’m sure plenty of people will disagree of my view of the Jedi but I think you have to view it from a universal standpoint not miopic current earth standpoint. Jedi aren’t concerned with the individual lives of 1, 10, or even 100 people. They are concerned about the greater good for trillions of sentients. If you can achieve your goal without harming anyone that is the ideal but the universe is not perfect and the “Force moves in mysterious ways.” so if to take down the deathstar that means blowing up a million civilian construction workers who are only there to feed their families under penalty of death from the empire then so be it. It was necessary to save the lives of countless more and while regretable and sad Jedi are above such petty emotions as regret. Something that you later see in the book series’ as many of the ex Jedi succumb to regret and take up rampant alcaholism or stop using their force powers alltogether unwilling to cope with the responsibility that being able to effect such drastic impact inately holds.

My 2 cents.

• daevos Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 6:32 pm #21410

X_X at the post. THE Jedi did not become the military until at the middle part of Episode two where the clone wars offically began and they tried their best to avoid war as much as possible. Before that, they were mediators for example Qui-Gon and Obi-wan didn’t go to the trade Frederation to kill them but to stop the hosility that was going on.

Second, you’re right in the sense of the greater good but they only went to battle when they felt they had no other option, when mediation was somehow unable to work and even than the majority of them were skeptical aka the mandalorian wars because the council was following their code. If you look back at thei rhistory every jedi that went head first into battle with logic turned out to kill them in the end. anakain, exar kun, revan.

• daevos Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm #21411

Here’s a snip from their code. They are bound to a code of ethics, morality, principles and justice. The Jedi are trained to use the Force through passive meditation, practising selflessness, commitment to justice while at the same time rejecting emotions such as passion, fear, anger and hate

• Oteri Participant
      March 29, 2013 at 8:40 pm #21412

Walldo- My poopies stinks, like everyone else. I’m well aware of this. I /try/ to provide the story with interesting characters. It doesn’t always work out for me or the mud, but I think I can say that I put the most effort in my forcers, and I’m not sure I could name one that was dreadful. Not always spectacular, but individual and in my own opinion, unique.*

On that note, I realize it was an over generalization, and I’m sure, given time, I could name several forcers (and just as many non-) whose RP has surprised me in the best ways.

That said, my comment may have been easily been viewed to be in poor taste because it was dripping with satire. My main problem is with the vast majority of the “comm heroes and villians.” I find that, for the most part, their public roleplay is bland and full of exactly what I said, to different degrees of horribleness. All of the best forcers /are not/ those people, and therefore, are heard and interacted with in a smaller degree.

TLDR: My forcers are on the upper levels of mediocre, those that talk on comms are usually douchey, and those that don’t tend to be some of the best I’ve ever interacted with. And I’m awesome.

*edit- Anyone may feel free to call me out on this, preferably not here as to derail the thread. I respect criticism, both positive and negative, and I honestly try to improve my roleplay.

• Corey Participant
      March 30, 2013 at 12:02 am #21418

I can agree with Oteri’s thoughts on the best RPers (and forcer RP) are the one’s that most people never get to interact with and many times don’t even know exist(ed).

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.