Legends of the Jedi Forums General Chat Things like Senate apps
This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 4 months ago by Faern.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Faern Participant
      November 12, 2014 at 12:10 am #24420

If you’re applying for a character to be Senator or what not, in some sort of leadership role, perhaps it should be required that you devote some IC time to that end. Sometimes it seems like a lot of people that pop into these positions during the elections (via apps) just pop into existence once they’ve won…and I know that’s generally the way it works, but I’d at least like to see the character exist before they’re placed in that role ICly.
      It’s always nice to get some background and the light on someone who’ll be doing an important job.

• Kirash Participant
      November 12, 2014 at 12:22 am #24421

For once, I am in agreement with Faern. These people are going to be in public and important leadership positions. They should be spending time announcing themselves and devoting time to their RP before being “elected”. Otherwise, it just seems silly to be pushing forward a “popularly voted” Representative/Senator that NO ONE knows a damn thing about and leaves more than just a few heads scratching wondering who the hell this next joker is and whether or not they are actually going to devote any time to their new position.

• Faern Participant
      November 12, 2014 at 12:33 am #24423

Glad to have a good, supportable idea for once.

you guys cut deep sometimes

• whisper Participant
      November 12, 2014 at 12:59 am #24425

What if my char’s RP is going door to door on my homeplanet trying to get votes, instead of clogging up public comm channels with stupid and pointless and likely annoying election ads? How can I be for the people if i’m stuck RPing with people on commnets who never leave their phome? Furthermore you may be surprised if you were to visit some of the out of the way places to find potential senators actually just walking around and RPing with the citizens of those worlds.

Or perhaps you are completely right and people are scared of losing their senator chars before their app even gets looked at.

With Love,
      Whisper

• Faern Participant
      November 12, 2014 at 10:10 am #24426

Doing things on the planet is important, yes, but are you just Rping with the NPCS, or with people who own phomes there?
      Even if you are being busy on your respective planet, it’d be nice to say, have a broadcast showing that you’re pounding the streets and what not, because we’d like to know that people exist and what they do and everything -before- they get into some kind of leadership position. Private roleplay in out of the way places doesn’t really make you widely known throughout the galaxy.

• Kirash Participant
      November 13, 2014 at 8:29 am #24431

You’re still going to be a part of the galactic community. RPing with your planet is fine and dandy, but you’re going to be doing 90% of your interactions with your fellow Reps/Senators/Clan Members, other clans, and potential recruits for your clan. Being someone who has been in a Senator position three times, I can tell you that it’s just how it is even when players are playing characters from the planet you represent.

• Zeromus Participant
      November 13, 2014 at 2:47 pm #24432

I think that discounting the ambiance of the setting is a bad idea and people who devote their time purely to a single clan are a bad choice for Senators. The people who are chosen for Senator should be chosen for their plans for the game at large, not just for the Republic or history with the Republic.

• Ranman Participant
      November 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm #24433

Senator is perhaps one of the only roles I’ve never played, but it’s the one role I’ve always wanted to play and probably apped for a few times and not got too.

I think I can see both sides of this argument, which is why I think the system for now should stay as it is regardless of how efficient or not it is. That is, let some people RP campaigns and public debates etc, let some app for it. If two people are happily campaigning, you could either have a current senate/clan vote or immortal decision based on their roleplay and plans.

I also agree that half the time, people campaigning a lot will end up trolled/permed for no good reason long before they can get any chance.

• Faern Participant
      November 13, 2014 at 6:57 pm #24435

My point was, if you do app for it, you ought to have your character around and publicly known before your app goes through, at least once the TL is already going.
      Besides, there’s likely little reason to be permed while you publicly campaign, so I doubt many of those troll/perms because you’re an annoying campaigner things are going to be entirely legal….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.