Legends of the Jedi Forums The Next Timeline The Galaxy Map!
This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 9 months ago by Kirash.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    • Zeromus Participant
      March 2, 2015 at 1:23 am #24822

A big thing that has been experimented with in the last couple timelines has been the layout of the galaxy map. There’s a lot of debate on how to lay it out to make conflict either last longer or make it harder for certain clans to get a foothold in various areas. How do I mean?

An example would be last timeline, when the galaxy was originally laid out so that both the Sith Empire and the Republic had about equal access to resources on both sides of the galaxy. There was a pinch point at the middle and it ended up being a major point of contention when the two sides went to war. Things were a bit spread out, so it took a lot longer than it did in previous timelines to travel from one end to the other. As the timeline went on, ships were able to travel faster because they were better and the galaxy contracted, but it felt much larger because of slower speeds and wider distances at the very beginning.

Recently, there’s been more of an emphasis on deep space stations that litter the areas between the planets and act as refueling points or hiding places for people. There’s been some neat situations with those.

I have a lot of notes personally on ways this could be improved but everyone knows I like to shout my opinion out about everything so I’d like to see who else has put some thought into the galaxy’s layout so we can give the imms some more ideas for the next timeline.

• Paco Participant
      March 2, 2015 at 9:51 am #24823

I would definitely be interested in seeing a few more public standalone stations that are “planets” code-wise, and thusly can be captured and lost by clans. These would essentially be planets, but built and made to feel like a space stations. They’d contain homes, shops, etc. It’d be interesting to see two or three placed around the galaxy strategically to bridge the gap between clusters of planets.

• Quicksilver Participant
      March 2, 2015 at 10:59 am #24824

I really loved the random space stations around because they made it viable to travel around certain planets entirely, which is great for being able to defy expectations, as some space routes are typically easy to predict.

• StormRyder Participant
      March 2, 2015 at 1:19 pm #24828

I agree wholeheartedly with adding captureable stations around the galaxy. With the limited number and current placing travel is quite predictable. If you are trying to run there are very few options to get away, if clan is after you they can easily setup a trap ahead of you by mobilizing on other side while still in hyperspace. Adding a couple stations strategically can give a few more options for changing direction or ditching and hiding.

Plus they could become new social centers with a slightly different RP aspect. Imagine, the current situation of our mad bomber, explosions on a station and it going zero g or no atmosphere for a little while. With out rebreathers or certain equipment you could find yourself in an interesting pickle of a situation.

• Zeromus Participant
      March 2, 2015 at 7:09 pm #24829

I would like to see the stations tie more into the planet game, myself. It would be neat to see a situation where deep space and planet orbits were seeded with different stations like Munitions Facilities and Deep Space Refueling stations etc. that might confer bonuses onto either side. What I had in mind was something like if the Empire in Era 2 wanted to upgrade from VSDs to ISDs, the imms might put Research & Development Satellites over every planet that ICly would play into the Empire’s attempts to develop something new. The Rebels would be able to attack the satellites and if enough of them are destroyed, it might require the Empire to obtain an additional breakthrough or something of the like. There’s a lot of stuff we could do without recoding the entire system and I would like to hear stuff that doesn’t necessarily require a massive redesign.

• Walldo Keymaster
      March 29, 2015 at 5:16 pm #25040

We are actively working to lock in the map so this is a hot thread to post in.

both the Sith Empire and the Republic had about equal access to resources on both sides of the galaxy. There was a pinch point at the middle and it ended up being a major point of contention when the two sides went to war.

Recently, there’s been more of an emphasis on deep space stations that litter the areas between the planets and act as refueling points or hiding places for people. There’s been some neat situations with those.

These are both ideas I’ve always liked and have been generally satisfied with.

Having deep space stations as sort of hidden paths and hideouts are neat. It would be cool if these were more than just cookie-cutter stations as they are now – I think this would be a good BP project given the general talent level we have. Something like a deep space asteroid mining colony with a engie quest, maybe a smuggler’s den, things like that.

I think it makes to have some of these be quasi-secret. They aren’t going to show up on the calc list, but they aren’t navchart locked. Maybe some ARE a secret, but others would be tipped off by NPCs or quests or even just note board postings.

>I would definitely be interested in seeing a few more public standalone stations that are “planets” code-wise, and thusly can be captured and lost by clans.

This is a super interesting idea. How would it work?

• Bai Participant
      March 29, 2015 at 5:27 pm #25043

i loved finding and utilizing the deep space “stations”. I have no idea if they were in the whole time or what… I don’t know if they were actively known about at one point and I wasn’t involved. But when I found them, I kept them to myself except my group of people. That’s probably what everyone else did too.

• veric Participant
      March 29, 2015 at 9:54 pm #25044

I feel that there should be quests to get the GENERAL location (or at least the name) of a deep space station and leave it up to the players to figure it out after that. Maybe have little items around the mud that when looked at by a level X (class) it will reveal a little bit of the location or possibly nested hint in a description in one of the libraries where you ‘look map’ and it gives you part of the coordinates.

I’d love it if there was requirements to even board the stations… like NPC guards that will actively give you a hard time if you shouldn’t be there (flags? items?) or maybe keyphrase mobs that will only move if you give the right word. This would make it so even if you could get on board you still need to be ‘in the know’ to actually get full usage of the place.

Most of these stations are still secret now that the whole locateship thing is mostly fixed and the only way to find them is either by jumping in uncharted and doing it the hard way, knowing the name of the station or finding it out from someone else ICly who was around during the time when most of them were discovered via locateship.

• Corey Participant
      March 30, 2015 at 5:53 pm #25062

The space stations (could even make asteroid fields/mining colonies etc) are and have been great ideas. The only issue with relying heavily on making a large part of the game searching them down, is that once one person finds it, there’s nothing that prevents one player from discovering them and posting them on the message board/clan board. Once that happens, that whole realm of it is tossed out the window. So unless there’s a counter method to that, I wouldn’t bank on it being a really long term selling point for a new TL. I’d be more of a “hey that’s a great feature.”

• Walldo Keymaster
      April 29, 2015 at 5:05 pm #25206

I’ve stickied this thread. We are actively working up how the map will shape so expect more activity ITT.

• Jamie Participant
      May 10, 2015 at 6:53 am #25247

I’d personally like to see a map that reflects a more canon galaxy, instead of two main clans hiding out at opposite ends and having to actively defend territory in different areas.

• doctruffle Participant
      May 11, 2015 at 4:27 pm #25252

Idea, maybe? I like the spacestation idea as well. Perhaps having a couple of ‘public’ stations that act like refueling points, maybe have some job specific quests/leveling areas (one station is a smugglers station, another a pilots hang out, etc and so forth). Have a couple of ‘hidden’ stations that you are lead to via different quests or secret paths that offer something unique (be it secret shops, quests, unique blueprints, what-have-you).

AND… why not have some space-stations that act as ‘clan-contention points’?? For instance… we have said space-station that orbits around said asteroid field/gas planet/etc. Having control of said space station gives your clan some sort of boost (whether it be money, resources, NPCs, the ability to have more capital ships per clan… whatever). However, holding and controlling said stations would require attention. Make each station start off as a ‘pirated’ station with a HEAVY presence. You find the station and next thing you know you’ve got two pirated capital ships and squadrons of pirates looking at you. Make it an actually effort to claim these space-stations and then after you’ve taken them you have to deal with a nearly constant pirate presence or an occasional massive pirate fleet who enters and attempts to retake the station. Am I the only one who thinks it’d be fun to be hanging out in front of your captured space-station when a rival clan jumps into the system ready for war and after you’ve started to engage a third fleet of pirates jumps into the system and all of a sudden you have to adjust your battle tactics.

I think it’d create more PvP scenarios, more Clan vs Clan interactions and give a good reason for players to have to join forces with other players to accomplish something that impossible to do alone.

Just a thought.

• veric Participant
      May 12, 2015 at 12:38 am #25253

problem with actual space focus is space combat is niche. Niche as in only a small handful of people do it and only a small handful do it well.

• Zhelir Participant
      May 12, 2015 at 1:45 am #25254

Gotta say, do like the idea of a player hub being destroyable/held for ransom.

• Ralen Keymaster
      May 22, 2015 at 4:37 am #25292

We will most definitely be aiming for a more ‘canon’ Galaxy Map next time around, though some sort of scale is going to have to be applied as the further you get from the core, the more ridiculous it gets. (Mon Calamari comes in at about 200, 65 for example.)

Equally, I like the idea of ‘capturable’ stations, but the difficulty comes in how to make this fair – very simple to have a ‘capture’ command set the station’s owner to another clan, far less simple to find a system of ensuring the changeover takes time and effort.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
The forum ‘The Next Timeline’ is closed to new topics and replies.