Legends of the Jedi Forums Newbie Watering Hole Stat Training Guide Request
This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 4 months ago by Olrac.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Olrac Participant
      November 5, 2015 at 7:19 pm #27290

Hi all! I’m on my first char here at LOTJ and am loving it. Not new to mudding in general, but the training mechanic here is wildly different than what I’m used to and fell into the usual newbie pitfall when I ran out of money/got impatient with stat training at char gen. So I’d like to ask you guys if you could offer a guide of sorts on how to properly train stats at char gen. Thanks!

• Ryken Participant
      November 5, 2015 at 8:15 pm #27291

Unfortunately right now, there’s not much way around the stat training issue, from what I understand it’s being re-worked, but isn’t finished yet.

Here’s as much info as I think I can give you OOCly about code stuff:

Base stats are 18, whenever you look at a “showrace”, the modifiers listed as “Plus” will be + or – the base of 18.

The hard stat cap is 25, with no way to effectively go past it, however, stacking a stat above 25 will help offset penalties (i.e. heavy armors, poisoning, etc.)

You start the game with your stats at 15, or less if they’re lessened by a penalty. You have to train them to your racial max from there. So as a for instance, a human has a bonus of “O” to all stats, start with all stats at 15 and can train all stats to 18. A twi’lek has +2 to dex and +2 to cha, starts with DEX/CHA at 15 and can train them to 20 (18+bonus) at trainers. A whiphid has a -7 modifier to INT, starts the game with 11 INT and cannot train it.

Trainers are in the game and cost 2000 credits each use, failing a training session is random and sucky with no way to increase success. There is a newbie gym, a best physical gym, and a best mental gym. You can ask on commnet 0 where those gyms are and people will tell you.

Your max stats affect your level maxes, so maximizing your stats can be very important to your character’s development and overall effectiveness (or not, depending on their goals and skill desires). The best advice is to train -> level -> implant.

For more information about stat boosts and levels, read this great guide:
      http://www.legendsofthejedi.com/forums/topic/stat-gain-chart/

I reference it all the time.

Cybernetic implants are kind of a “capstone” to your stats, which you may or may not even end up needing. You can read about them in the game and divine their purpose.

As far as the credit situation, almost everyone goes broke trying to maximize their stats shortly after character generation, a good tip is to train one or two stats to max, then perform quests for the class that is affected by or raises those stats, so that if you get a lucky stat gain, you won’t have denied yourself an extra point. Or complete smuggling quests, since you cannot train LCK. As a last resort, you can always beg NPCs for money, or even players if you’re nice about it.

Your first couple characters may be under-optimized, don’t sweat it. Super granular optimization is for specialty characters, as long as you have at least ONE discipline maxed out, you’ll be more than useful.

Good luck 😀

• Olrac Participant
      November 6, 2015 at 1:24 am #27294

Nice, thanks! Not sure why but I was assuming that it was base 20 so this is all good to know. Max stats affecting level maxes is really good to know too. I’m not to worried about my char being under optimized right now, my main is maxed, that’s satisfying enough for the first go round. Thanks again for this great explanation and info!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.