Legends of the Jedi Forums General Chat Stat Training
This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 6 months ago by bagz.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Paco Participant
      October 14, 2015 at 10:02 pm #27140

Okay. So… I know this has been brought up several times, but I just want to reiterate my point and create a fresh discourse.

Stat Training- Let’s do away with it

Why, you might ask? Well, because it makes buying levels pointless. I know it’s been brought up that stats and levels aren’t what the game is about, RP blah meta blah. Well, folks, that is the game we play, stat gains are important, and we can only train our stats up to the racial max. Point being, we can’t train until -after- character generation.

So if you buy levels now in anything but smuggling, you more likely than not will get gains that take you up to if not beyond your racial max. Why is this bad? Well, because you can train up to your racial max and get these gains by leveling up in game. Sounds like a dumb argument, but this does make buying levels pointless.

What should we do?

Make every character start with their racial max trained. Do away with stat training. This will make buying levels viable, and it will remove a -huge- headache from not only old players, but new players who mistakenly level up and don’t train their stats (which hurts them down the road, and therefore hurts their image of the mud).

So yeah, do away with stat training. That’s what I think.

• Fishy Participant
      October 14, 2015 at 10:06 pm #27141

Agreed.

• Paco Participant
      October 14, 2015 at 10:07 pm #27142

Visual Aid:

Say you roll a Human, they get 18 in every stat at chargen, they can train up to 21.

You could roll a human and not buy levels, spend an hour and 100k credits training your stats to 21, and then level up. This is difficult to do since you start out with 50K and have to go around begging people for money, but w/e.

Say you buy levels though, some of your stats get up to 21, 22 with level gains. The issue now is that you can’t train any further, whereas had you started at 21 you’d be at 24/25.

• Ryken Participant
      October 15, 2015 at 12:52 am #27149

I agree wholeheartedly. I’ve been putting more work into my characters before rolling, character sheets, descs, histories, nuances. After cobbling it all together, chargen and then getting into the game and going ‘ugh’ @ stat training a few times now, it’s just…… awful.

Even just easing the training time/credit cost would be a relief, but once that’s done, you may as well just spawn everyone at racial max like Paco has suggested, which is probably the easiest and most painless thing to do at this point.

• khamael Participant
      October 17, 2015 at 9:12 pm #27163

I support changing this, as it doesn’t add anything beneficial to the game.

• bagz Participant
      October 18, 2015 at 7:10 am #27164

I support this in theory but I also support a side issue of making things like this and language learning etc teachable by other players so you can RP train this stuff as well… maybe make it so you get gains leveling like normal but if you haven’t trained stats then they dont happen but they go to a queue so when you train that stat you can now train it above your racial max?

I.E.

I have not trained stats and I level up to combat 150… my str is now 21 but I can’t train it higher…

in my proposed system the gains would be flagged on your character when they happen and just ADD to your racial max in some way like the formula could be:
      Character STR = (TRAINED RACIAL MAX) + (Gear Bonuses) + (Permenent Bonuses like Cybers) + (PERSONAL GAINS)

or something.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.