Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Shipsize/Docking Change Suggestions
This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 11 months ago by bagz.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Xavious Participant
      April 17, 2017 at 6:54 pm #29006

I’ve suggested this before, but I feel like it should be a conversation that involves the wider community. I’m suggesting that we loosen the docking restrictions based on shipsize.

Ultimately I think that reducing the limitations on docking would enhance the quality of life for pilots in general and also open up a wider range of opportunities for boarding action related activities. I can see how the latter might be controversial for some, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t one reason I’d like to see the change.

Currently the system works in a way where you can only dock with an equal or greater sized ship. I don’t see any reason from a logical, or even game balance, perspective why ships in the same general category (small, medium, large) wouldn’t be able to dock back and forth with each other.

When it comes to stranded pilots, it would make it easier to dock up and restore fuel, and in general there are a few times where this restriction is just an inconvenience. I also find it a tragedy that gunboats cannot dock with freighters, even though it’s extremely hard for a gunboat to even disable one in the first place if the other pilot is paying attention. This change could create more interesting pirate opportunities if any individual, or group, was organized enough to roam in gunboat packs to harass trade lanes, something I think we could definitely use more of.

Personally I’d like to see all small/medium class ships to be able to dock between each other interchangeably, though I do think large ships should be restricted from docking with anything smaller since they are both large and unwieldy, and have hangar bays. However, at the very least, I think allowing small to small, medium to medium, and large too large docking would be a huge improvement.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

• Kirash Participant
      April 18, 2017 at 1:08 am #29008

*tries to imagine a battleship initiating docking sequences with a starfighter. Looks something like a huge boot squashing a tiny bug*

Sorry. This is just the first thing that came to mind.

I think that mediums docking with mediums regardless of what kind it is should be a given. Corvettes, freighters, gunboats should all be able to dock with one another.

Actually, I more feel like that ships should be able to dock with each other if they are of the same ship class regardless. Smalls with smalls, mediums with mediums, larges with larges, and heavys with heavys.

Still think it should stay Small -> Medium -> Large -> Heavy with regards to interclass docking rather than just doing away with it. My brain finds the image of a battleship trying to dock with a starfighter rather amusing.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Kirash.
    • bagz Participant
      April 19, 2017 at 12:17 am #29010

It is really annoying to try to refuel stranded pilots with the current system. I support this.

• khamael Participant
      April 19, 2017 at 1:43 am #29011

I agree with bagz and Kirash both. Maybe restrict it to within two size categories?

Size 2 – Fighter: Fighter, Transport, or Freighter
      Size 5 – Transport: Fighter, Transport, Freighter, or Gunboat
      Size 10 – Freighter: Fighter, Transport, Freighter, Gunboat, or Corvette
      Size 25 – Gunboat: Transport, Freighter, Gunboat, Corvette, or Frigate
      Size 30 – Corvette: Freighter, Gunboat, Corvette, Frigate, or Cruiser
      Size 35 – Frigate: Gunboat, Corvette, Frigate, Cruiser, or Battleship
      Size 50 – Cruiser: Corvette, Frigate, Cruiser, or Battleship
      Size 65 – Battleship: Frigate, Cruiser, or Battleship

And we’ll stop there because docking with a platform is ridiculous. This wouldn’t make a situation like a battleship docking with a fighter possible, but it would allow a helpful cargo pilot to get a stranded academy grad’s fighter going again.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by khamael.
    • bagz Participant
      April 19, 2017 at 6:45 pm #29015

Yeah I dig it khamael. I have to say, one of the largest disappointments of the timeline (this is so petty) for me was asking an engineering company if their freighter with a hangar could have less cargo pods and add a tractor beam. They said absolutely and I started planning out a career as a search and rescue tanker until a day later when they told me they were mistaken.

womp womp.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.