Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Race Level Spread Adjustments
Tagged: 
This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 1 month ago by Merrycheeza.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • frumpalumpaguss Participant
      December 4, 2017 at 12:17 pm #30567

Alright folks. There’s been a big discussion on races up in IMMland lately, and I’d like to poll the Pbase to get some ideas from you. It’s been discussed about having races that are marquee in a certain class, in the way that Whiphid and Gamo are in combat. What would be some races you’d like to see that are extremely powerful in X class, and why? We’re also looking for some ideas for race flags that will make a race powerful in X class, in the way that regen effects combat races. An example would be something like Computation: This race is markedly better at slice and secure.

Note: The changes will likely make the races price go up as we sit down and decide what races need price adjustments.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Xerakon.
    • bagz Participant
      December 4, 2017 at 5:30 pm #30568

Expanding current systems is always fine by me! By marquee you mean the prime example of X class?

I’ll think on it.

Good to hear!

• magrog Participant
      December 5, 2017 at 7:55 am #30582

Baseline humans are well known in roleplaying games to be very versatile and fast learners, so, why not give it a racial trait similar to the quick learner feat? Or maybe the option to have four feats instead of three in the form of a racial trait?

• bagz Participant
      December 5, 2017 at 5:13 pm #30587

yeah cause if its anything we need its more humans xD

• Odari Participant
      December 5, 2017 at 6:20 pm #30588

@magrog That trope is kinda overplayed in fiction anyway and especially doesn’t make much sense in Star Wars. What makes humans “special” in Star Wars is that they’ve spread through the galaxy in a similar manner to how rabbits have spread in Austrailia. This is already represented in the game by having Corellian, Naboo, Alderaanian, etc as distinct playable races instead of just being in your history somewhere when you gen a human. Personally I think all those races that aren’t biologically distinct from humans in some way should be removed in favor of the base human race being able to choose a homeworld to get some small bonus levels/stats from or just get to choose a class to add like 20-30 levels to at chargen in addition to their main. I don’t see something like that happening anytime soon though.

Givin could have that computational ability and maybe it’d be enough of a boost to let them hit Echo-0 without a certain consumable or hit Echo-0 after consuming it as non-slicer mains if they still hit 150 slicing. Echo-0 should still be the cap though I think. Cereans could maybe get that ability too.

Sluissi I think could have an ability that makes armor crafting take longer but gives them a narrower bacta range, like 100 or 75 from perfect at worst.

Falleen and/or Zeltron could get an ability tied to their pheremones that makes propaganda more useful, maybe on par with bribing for 1000 credits.

For smuggling maybe an ability for Jawas or a similar race that gets more credits from stripping ships or maybe lets them strip ships at a garage instead of a black market.

Givin and Cerean could have the really high slicing levels, Sluissi and Verpine engineering, Falleen and Zeltron diplomacy. All races that already have pretty high levels in those classes anyway. There already exist some non-combat examples though like Alderaanians having a good chance of hitting 130 diplomacy already or Arkanians and other races getting an easy 150 science regardless of main and 100+ medical.

Firrerreo and Trandoshan seem like they should get some form of regen too. Why is it that Mandalorians get a regen ability and they don’t anyway? Cathar are at least mentioned to heal quickly but Mandalorians are just another human culture along the lines of Corellian and Alderaanian. Trandoshans could/should also have really high bounty hunting levels as their thing given their religion.

• snowscoran Participant
      December 6, 2017 at 9:52 am #30595

Racial character is good, but you have to be wary of pigeonholing when races are given perks that are generally unavailable. For example, I was recently informed on OOC that Whiphid’s role in LOTJ is to provide flurry training. Pretty silly, but you can see where they get the idea. Done wrong, critical racial perks could pigeonhole entire mainclasses into a certain race to be competitive, for example by giving slicer perks that open up security ratings that are generally unavailable, hence why I support Odari’s suggestion that any slicer benefits should be capped at Echo-0.

I’m wary of tossing regen to races with solid all-around levels (yes, Mandos get regen but are app only), or awarding unique perks to races that don’t have major drawbacks. Defels, Gamos and Whiphids have bad levels in several areas to compensate for prowess in others. Defels have a hit point penalty Gamophids have bad language skills, and all of them are noforced and cost a lot of points.

So following this line of thought, Jawas seem well suited to get a unique perk. Maybe make a special room flag only visible to Jawas where they can strip ships. Bothans, with their bad physical stats, might be suited for a minor espionage perk (they’re currently free, but they don’t have to be).

• statesman Participant
      December 7, 2017 at 2:08 pm #30598

I know Astromechs just got a small revisit, but they’re still only mediocre slicers, inferior to war droids. If Cereans and Givins get a special slicing ability, I’d definitely advocate for giving that to Astromechs, as well. I envision them as the best slicers in the Star Wars universe.

I agree with Odari that the diversity of Humans is well-represented by the wide selection of Human “subraces”, especially with changes 1504.

I’d love to see at least one race be a master of smuggling. At the moment, I don’t think there’s any race that can be a perfect smuggling teacher, at least without being a Knight-level Jedi Sentinel.

At some point, it might be fun to see a race that is excellent at smuggling and bounty hunting, but not combat–a race that always gets sneak and track, regardless of main choice. (Maybe a Scout Droid rework, or a new race like Clawdite.) Balancing a BH main that could have both sneak and ambush would be tricky, but it’s an idea. Maybe if they lost blaster mastery or even dual wield, or had poor Str/HP.

Some other racial abilities that could be fun:
      Intuitive Leader – gain additional bonus levels to a leadership subclass
      Internal Computer – use some datapad skills with alerting those around you (lookup, locateship, monitor camera), or without holding a datapad
      Underworld Contacts – steady source of automatic income

• Ilyena Participant
      December 17, 2017 at 3:21 am #30622

Arkanians and Omwati could maybe be marquee science types, and get a slight bonus to their development breakthrough chance? Logical Inquisitiveness, or something?

• serialize Participant
      January 7, 2018 at 6:32 am #30670

Hutts have pretty shitty levels and lots of drawbacks, maybe make them one of the marquee smuggler races. People rolling hutt combatants with guaranteed reflexes, no pants and shitty dexterity shouldn’t affect combat balance too much.

• saito Participant
      January 7, 2018 at 1:46 pm #30673

i had an arkanian develop in like…15 minutes start to finish.

It was great.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by saito.
    • snowscoran Participant
      January 7, 2018 at 4:53 pm #30677

Inquisitiveness sounds like a decent idea for a science feat. Maybe the racial marquee could be to develop 50% faster (but with the same breakthrough chance/credit expenditure).

• Merrycheeza Participant
      January 22, 2018 at 5:47 pm #30716

Bith need more charisma… and more of everything, really.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.