Legends of the Jedi Forums Making LOTJ More Friendly For Newbies New Forum: Making LOTJ For Newbies
This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 6 months ago by feak.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Walldo Keymaster
      October 31, 2015 at 1:49 am #27254

Hello! I have set up a new forum for us to discuss how we can make LOTJ a better place for new players! Anyone is free to make threads or post in here, but I will be moderating it a little tighter than other parts of the forums.

In particular, I would LOVE if our new and newer players were active contributors here. We want to know what works for you, what confuses you, and what turns you off!

Potential topics of discussion:
      Help files: What needs a help file? What is outdated?

Longer LOTJ guides!

The Academy: What works, what doesn’t?

NEWBIE THEORY: How do we bring new players to the mud? How do we keep them coming back?

Player-made clients!

The Wiki: OMG is it ever gonna come back?

The Website: It’s bad, but it is gonna get better.

Jump on in, and lets get posting.

http://www.legendsofthejedi.com/forums/forums/making-lotj-for-newbies/

• micheal Participant
      November 7, 2015 at 7:59 pm #27309

Space combat really needs something. Maybe an actual hands on tutorial where newbies can hop in a ship and select basic/medium/advanced tutorials. Then they could select a topic from the list to learn about. This would place then inside a ship where a training mob could then walk them through the appropriate course step by step. Possible topics could include-

Basic:
      Getting from planet to planet
      Cargo running

Intermediate:
      Hunting pirates in deep space
      Understanding the functions of ship weapons and what each does. (Tractor Beams. Shields. Hull. Range, damage, and use of lasers, turbolasers, ions, chaff, torpedos, etc…)

Advanced:
      Setting up a battlegroup/squadrons (joining/leaving a battlegroup, assigning ship positions)
      Issuing battlegroup commands (moving the fleet, targeting, scrambling/recalling squadrons)
      Large scale simulation space battle (slowed down so the player can see instructions and keep up)

This could also be done for ground combat manuevers.

• Oteri Participant
      November 7, 2015 at 8:22 pm #27310

There are enough players willing to teach space combat, myself amongst them.

Also, for the love of god, can we get a rewrite on the help duty command to get rid of the stupid soldier stuff that isn’t used and throw in actual droid commands? I’d offer to help, but I still struggle with it and droids often make me want to dream and shoot them, but since I wouldn’t be in a ship, they’d probably just perm me.

• micheal Participant
      November 7, 2015 at 8:31 pm #27311

I’m willing to teach what I can as well but I know a lot of players still don’t know much about modern space combat. Even some of the lotj veterans. People are afraid to just jump in a ship and go pirate hunting when they have only a basic idea what they are doing and know it can go wrong very quickly and lead to sudden death. Newbies who don’t immediately clan up would probably enjoy tutorials explaining the basics, and some of the vets would like to know how to function in a real space battle.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      December 26, 2016 at 3:41 pm #28708

I’m going to bump this. Since we’re rocking a new website.

• solus Participant
      September 26, 2017 at 5:01 pm #30418

I still think this bears review. I would love to see a tutorial on space. I alway sort of liked the stock SWR having that death friendly Newbie Coruscant to fly around, but I can see that being a distraction from actual space combat here in some ways. I got a really good primer on it by joining a clan last TL, but if i’m intimidated even a little bit, that might not end up being the case. The level to which the space system exists here is really above and beyond the SWRs i’ve played before, so its worth getting people engaged if you can. I know the ranks in the various branches swell and dwindle like a bell curve, but I feel like this little bit would help maybe stabilize it a bit.

I honestly like most everything about the mud and found it pretty easy to get engaged and begin playing around. I’m naturally introverted, so maybe it was just the people I ended up being around of the bat, but I felt pretty welcomed. I liked the Academy setup, while I liked the station more, as I find simple shapes are easier to get a mental sense around. Coruscant, the newbie station, and some of the other starter planets are great like that, and I think you did a good job making it approachable. I’m not saying chaos can’t be a reasonable thing to have in an area, but it quickly becomes a distraction, and pulls away from the feel of certain areas.

Overall, there isn’t much more I can add that I would like to see. I think i’ve found all the info i’ve ever tried for a help, or asked OOC/IC when it wasn’t there with pretty good success. I think you all do a good job of cycling the areas to make it feel free and move the story along quite a bit.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents.

• Spiritunio Participant
      April 29, 2021 at 3:03 am #32437

Make an wiki, make site better, make planets map.

• feak Participant
      September 19, 2022 at 7:43 am #35429

A guide for helping newbies know how to do things that are super basic. Things that many people in the Star Wars universe would just naturally know. Like how to use/charge a datapad, use a locker, etc. I know there are help commands for these things, but sometimes it is hard to know exactly what to type to get answer to what I am looking for. I enjoy RP to learn how to do things, but asking someone how to charge my datapad seemed a little out of character.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.