Legends of the Jedi Forums Share Yo’ Scripts Xavious' LOTJ Client Beta Release
This topic has 31 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 10 months ago by bagz.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
    • Xavious Participant
      July 3, 2015 at 5:44 pm #25523

If you’ve been playing Lotj recently, I’m sure you’ve heard me yammering on about my LotjClient project. My goal is to make Lotj more appealing to the masses by giving them easy access to the various plugins the community has made without having to dig them up, install them, and configure them themselves. This client will run “out of the box” without any configuration, or at least that is my goal. There could be potential bugs.

I just got the auto mapper working well enough that I feel it is okay to release it to the public. I’ll probably be fine tuning this and many other things in the future.

Just for clarity this is not a client made from scratch. It uses MUSHclient as the foundation and has added functionality from various plugins that me and other member of the community have made. I’ve added a credits intro screen as well. If anyone feels they’ve been overlooked, my apologies! I dug up most of the contributors from the XML file in code comments, descriptions, or the saved author for the plugin.

If you have any bugs, suggestions, or want to help out with this project.. feel free to get in contact with me.

https://github.com/Xavious/LotjClient

• Seryb Participant
      July 3, 2015 at 6:29 pm #25525

Give him the MVP

• Xavious Participant
      July 6, 2015 at 9:48 pm #25536

Latest update to automapper:
      -More efficient implementation of MSDP broadcasting
      -Aliases to zoom in and out
      -Alias to turn off automapping
      -Right-Click to add room flags
      -You can now delete rooms if their exits are broken

Coming soon:
      Better room saving
      Maybe more room flags

Let me know of any bugs or suggestions.

• Xavious Participant
      July 15, 2015 at 2:36 pm #25580

Some big updates to the client, mostly back end stuff.

Bug fix: Johnson’s chat window plugin had a minor typo in the regular expression that was preventing the [incoming/outgoing] preface, for clan messages, from showing up in the chat window. It’s definitely good to know if a message was internal or external. I pushed the change to Johnson on GitHub as well.

Added Split Screen On Scroll: A modified version of the Current_Output_Window plugin that Nick Gammon made. This one is made to preserve color and more closely mimic the way the C/ZMud screen splitting on scroll works. (Todo: Making it so you can copy text in the split popup window. It will currently block you from highlighting text behind it.)

Auto-Mapper Update: Some good news and bad news about this update. Let’s get the bad news out of the way first. Any maps you built with the old version are incompatible with the update. Previously all room data was being saved to a MUSHclient plugin “save state.” Not only is saving in this manner somewhat volatile in terms of the data loss potential in the event of a power outage, it also uses up a lot more memory than necessary once you have built up a substantial number of rooms. My save state file was around 43,000 lines by the time I had mapped almost every planet.

Now for the good news! The mapper saves all of this data in a SQLite database now. This is much more reliable for data integrity and allows only the rooms needing to be displayed on the map to be loaded into memory, rather than every single room in the whole galaxy! Hooray for efficiency and data safety!

I have some more bad news. The way this mapper works is a little slower and more cumbersome than the previous version. It doesn’t assume the room you enter will lead back to the room you came from. This means the mapper will not actually draw the room until you retrace your steps the other direction. Exits must be built by walking both directions. It’s somewhat annoying to deal with at first, especially if you are use to the previous version.

I have put in a request to the imms to change the exit MSDP to provide VNUM pairs for each exits. If this is done, then the mapper will work pretty much flawlessly and eliminate this drawback entirely. In the meantime, just know that you only have to map an area once!

New Room Flags:
      I’ve added a “command” room flag, as well as 3 “way point” markers (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie) for various other flagging needs. A room can only have 1 flag at a time.

Bookmarks/Notes:
      You can add a note to any room now. Along with this there is a command to search for all nearby bookmarks. The notes should be visible when you hover the mouse over a room as well.

Room Search:
      There is a command to search for a room with a given word or string of text. The search checks the criteria against the room name and will only work for connected rooms.

Random Notes:
      Turbolifts, password doors, entering/exiting structures and ships, and various other non-directional movement all cause unique behavior. Entering a ship essentially will be like a new zone/area/plane. Taking a turbolift can cause that room to link to multiple rooms from the same direction. The mapper will mostly figure all of this out for you, but be prepared for strange behavior sometimes. It might also bounce and glitch when a layout isn’t structured logically, you’ll see what I mean if you walk around Nar Shaddaa.

Moving too quickly can mess up your room layouts! If this happens, you can right+click a room and change the directions, but it is a pain in the ass.. just don’t let it happen! Walk slow when building areas to prevent this!

Anyway that’s all for now.. ENJOY!

If you have any problem or suggestions, let me know.

My next project is going to be making a bad ass HUD

• Author Participant
      August 1, 2015 at 4:06 pm #26725

hey man, how do I put these on my ‘puter? I’m dumbed down a bit! 😛

• Author Participant
      August 4, 2015 at 11:50 am #26745

nice thanks

• Johnson Participant
      August 17, 2015 at 9:16 pm #26834

The mapper saves all of this data in a SQLite database now.

This is a great update! I am very pleased that you did away with using those massive save state files and instead shifted to using clean, tidy SQLite! I haven’t actually gotten a chance to use it yet, but I glanced over your code and it’s looking great. Again, fantastic update. Keep up the awesome work!

• Xavious Participant
      August 21, 2015 at 10:55 pm #26850

Thanks Johnson. You’ve definitely contributed your fair share. I’m just trying to do my part to bring Lotj into the modern age of muding. To give credit where credit is due, Nick Gammon came out with some tutorials not long ago that really helped give a better understanding of how to effectively use his mapper.lua library that has been included with MUSHclient for ages.

The SQLite database made it harder to map, but the end result is worth it. I tried to coerce Rojan into making the exits MSDP variable string send out direction/vnum pairs instead of just exits. That would make the mapper build areas flawlessly, without having to back track paths. But alas, he responded once and didn’t get back to me when I replied, so our correspondence has died.

• Logan Participant
      August 26, 2015 at 7:19 am #26855

Run-time error
      Plugin: Lotj_Mapper (called from world: Legends of the Jedi)
      Function/Sub: OnPluginBroadcast called by Plugin Lotj_Mapper
      Reason: Executing plugin Lotj_Mapper sub OnPluginBroadcast
      [string “Plugin”]:1143: attempt to concatenate field ‘?’ (a nil value)
      stack traceback:
      [string “Plugin”]:1143: in function <[string “Plugin”]:1117>
      Error context in script:
      1139 : –tprint(room_exits)
      1140 : room_exits = “”
      1141 : for key, value in pairs(exits) do
      1142 : –Note(valid_direction[value])
      1143*: room_exits = room_exits..valid_direction[value]..”,”
      1144 : end
      1145 : room_exits = string.sub(room_exits, 1, string.len(room_exits)-1)
      1146 : got_room_exit(room_exits)
      1147 : end –if room_exits not nil

This the error that crashes the plugin when i enter the Tatooine Central Hospital, i’m guessing its the bacta exit screwing it? Might be the room title too, dunno.

• Xavious Participant
      August 26, 2015 at 9:37 am #26856

This was a bug in an older version of the client. You are right that it is the bacta “exit” that is causing it to crash. The latest version of the client shouldn’t have this issue. If you don’t want to download the whole thing, you can just download the mapper file alone.

WARNING: I have no idea what version of the mapper you are using. The oldest version used save states and the newer version saves all this data in a mysqlite database. The latter is more efficient for memory and data safety, however, it would essentially render your current maps for everything useless. Basically if you downloaded this before July 15th, there’s a chance you are still using my first, pre-database, version of the mapper. The easiest way to check would be to open the client folder and see if there is a file named “legendsofthejedi.com_5656.db”.

If you don’t find “legendsofthejedi.com_5656.db” in your client folder, then you are probably using the antiquated mapper. You should probably upgrade, but you will have to start all over. Rather than cite the changes here, I refer you to my July 15th post in this same thread which explains the new version compared to the old in details.

If you DO have “legendsofthejedi.com_5656.db,” then the good news is you should be able to update one file and still keep your current maps for the galaxy. Your map of the galaxy is saved in this “legendsofthejedi.com_5656.db” file.

To update you mapper,

Navigate to: https://github.com/Xavious/LotjClient/tree/master/worlds/plugins

Find: “Lotj_mapper.xml”, right+click the link, select “save link as”, navigate to your client folder plugin directory (Lotjclient->Worlds->Plugins), click “Ok” and overwrite the old file. After that is done go to MUSHclient window and open up your plugin list (ctrl+shift+p), find Lotj_mapper, highlight and click “reinstall”.

• Xavious Participant
      August 26, 2015 at 12:26 pm #26857

Apparently the GitHub version was out of sync. I uploaded the bug fix to the project for the Lotj_mapper.xml file. My previous instructions still apply, but it should actually fix it this time!

• aslaran Participant
      August 29, 2015 at 11:20 am #26863

Oh.. will try this out.

• Dantere Participant
      May 14, 2017 at 4:35 am #29828

I heard there was a mobile version of your Client. Is that accurate?

• Xavious Participant
      May 14, 2017 at 2:59 pm #29861

Negative sir. I currently have no plans on creating a mobile version either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.