Legends of the Jedi Forums The Next Timeline Story/plot thread (updated with proposal)
This topic has 97 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 10 months ago by Tofuergus.
Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)
    • illyduss Participant
      June 12, 2015 at 12:24 am #25397

I know I’m pretty new here, but I always wanted to do a Dawn of the Republic thing. Way back before the Sith Wars when they were still mapping Hyperlanes and what not. Around 25,106 BBY when the first hyperdrive was created during the Unification Wars and just as the Jedi discovered that there was a Republic because they were along one of the first trade routes. It would give us the whole waring clans deal with pretty much each planet being its own thing, a giant republic struggling to get them all to join. Some Jedi that are unsure of all this. Crime all over since there are now trading lanes, and only a small interstellar government (The Republic) guarding them but crippled in their ability in being able to do so because all the planets are refusing to join, etc. I always thought that would be pretty cool to play. I dunno if you guys have ever done that and I dunno if you have decided on a story arch yet, but I think it would be cool. It would seriously be essentially madness since the biggest clan would be the Republic with like two planets.

• Alyssa Participant
      June 12, 2015 at 3:25 pm #25401

Wow. I literally was just thinking about making a return to LotJ now that my schedule has opened up a bit and was, in particular, thinking about playing as an investigative reporter type of character. Talk about interesting timing to come across this discussion. 🙂

It could just be me, but I think people kind of underestimate how hard it is to be an actual reporter and be taken seriously. I’m not sure if looking to the Imms to make you seem more legitimate is the answer. You have to work long and hard and have actual stories that people care about and build up a reputation for impartiality and accuracy before people will take you seriously, regardless of how you get your message out.

I think people start out with these characters and get bored because nobody cares about their opinion or trusts them or takes them seriously at first. It’s a people/trust/relationship problem, not a code problem, IMO.

If you’re actually good at being a journalist/reporter and provide value, people will listen to what you have to say even if its over public comms. Some will call it gossip and that’s fine, you need to have a thick skin to get into it. I dunno. I don’t think a clan or imm intervention is necessary to make a news character work.

• Paco Participant
      June 12, 2015 at 11:56 pm #25402

There was once a news clan, and it had traction for a bit, but I think it faded when someone started killing its members. >.>

• Zeromus Participant
      June 13, 2015 at 12:12 am #25403

I know Daevos played a news character but he was straight up lying most of the time so it seemed like he was just a propagandist.

• Paco Participant
      June 13, 2015 at 1:55 am #25406

The News Team LOTJ Needs.

• Seryb Participant
      June 13, 2015 at 8:45 am #25410

I think it can be done without imm help but with the RPC/Imm GNI character I think it would really simplify the matter. That being said if it doesn’t happen I’m sure we’ll have player characters that try to do it on their own. Really just needs cooperation on the players’ behalf. Tough though because clan leaders don’t always have time to RP with some random dude who may or may not be an assassin requesting an interview.

• Zeromus Participant
      June 13, 2015 at 1:36 pm #25412

Not only that but for instance in the Dominion, I didn’t want a fair, unbiased media source reporting on what I was doing. The only media was state media, and it loved the Dominion. Being a journalist involves risks like that, no matter what.

• Tofuergus Participant
      June 27, 2015 at 8:46 am #25473

First off, I have played a news reporter. They are the best character type. You can do rumor reports almost like The Sun, or you can do official dry news like the GNI. I think news characters have a lot of work cut out for them. You have to know what is going on, when, where, and why! That means you have to devote a lot of hours to make your character any good or have a good spy network.

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)
The topic ‘Story/plot thread (updated with proposal)’ is closed to new replies.