Legends of the Jedi Forums The Next Timeline Crafting and PK gear
This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 10 months ago by neven.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Xavious Participant
      May 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm #25302

The idea of having the various wear locations being more craft intensive has occurred to me before too. I’m undecided on whether or not this would add value to the game or not though. It wouldn’t take much to turn a quest reward into a component that must later be turned into the desired item by an engineer. If this somehow makes the game more engaging or interesting, rather than more of an inconvenience, then I think it would be a good thing.

I see your point about people all walking around wearing identical gear, but it’s gear that no one ever sees until you are getting jailed anyway. I do think it would be cool to be able to make an ear link or earring on par with what can just be bought out of a shop, since this is one item that can actually be seen by others when you have an open helmet. On one character I actually took the stat penalty to wear an earring that only gave me +1 hitroll instead of the standard hit/dam and/or stats that come with other ear links, just because I favored the aesthetics of my design over statistical advantage.

I personally like the fact that you can get most races’ stats close to max. From a PvP perspective, I prefer the biggest barrier to victory being mechanical skill as opposed to character stats. However, character build will always play a role anyway such as max HP, racial stats, and feat selection.

On a related note to stats, physical differences like a Wookiee’s size and strength compared to a Jawa’s is usually handled in game via role play. In what ways do you really notice someone’s stats affect anyone else in a visible way? The only example I can think of is when you look at someone and it says titanic, strong, etc. We only visually notice strength and charisma. Other than that we have carrying capacity, also dictated by strength, which is more of a convenience factor that, once again, no one else really notices or is affected by.

• Inactive
      May 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm #25301

Doesn’t necessarily have to do with story or plot per say, but I’d really like to see all of the pre-made gear items around the galaxy have their stats nerfed. I’m not suggesting that it has to be removed completely, but it shouldn’t be viable equipment for anyone other than noobs. Instead, replace them with crafting materials o varying usefulness spread across the galaxy.

This would allow for Engineers and other classes to actually make use of a bunch of skills that generally no longer get used. Why bother making energy shields when you can go buy one from a store that ups your HP? Why bother going through the annoying process of making cameras when you can go buy them for basically nothing? This would also add to the variety of the mud by not having every schmuck running around in identical gear.

On a side note, making it so that not every race can magically put on eq that gets em equal strength to a wookiee and the dex of an echani, all while wearing class three armor would be fantastic.

• Seryb Participant
      May 27, 2015 at 2:48 pm #25310

I think the baseline equipment should stay for the most part. I would love to see materials added that could create better gear however. Especially raw mats you had to find and combine before making certain equipment out of it.

If I am a jawa engi I want his strength to be 25 so I can carry all the mats I need, so I’m with Xavious in that regard. The overall idea isn’t bad but I think it would just annoy people more than anything. Most of the ‘combat’ races will hit it with gear so you would only be hurting the people who have characters not meant to fight in the first place.

• neven Participant
      May 31, 2015 at 3:15 pm #25341

This probably isn’t the thread for this but regarding EQ I think the system is quite fine as it is. You’ll already need/want engineers/crafted gear in the current TL for 9 of your 29 bits of EQ in a set, and while that’s not exactly a majority, it includes arguably the 5 more important pieces of equipment you have. Also, of those 9 crafted that you should want, you really only need an engineer for 4 of them and the other 5 can be made by just about anyone with the right materials. If you make things more dependent on crafters, you’re likely only going to end up with a relatively limited number of fabrics for example, even if it’s about five of them, which I would love for variance too, I feel like it’s all pretty much a lot more work for little actual gain either from mechanics or RP perspective. However, for the RP perspective, I definitely think there should be an in-game way to “redesign” equipment including quest rewards to be able to change their name/short/long so you can have a full proper custom made outfit rather than just have your custom made ‘armor’ covering everything else.

EDIT: also with the premade stuff that can be found in game, there’s a lot of stuff that take up the same slots, offering variance for how you gear depending on what kind of stats you have before equipment and how you want to prioritise anyway and having that kind of variance in pre-made eq is a lot easier than trying to have enough ways to just have everything crafted and still be able to reach the milestones of 25 in stats and whatever amount of hr/dr/hp/mv/whatever you want to build toward.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
The forum ‘The Next Timeline’ is closed to new topics and replies.