This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 16 years, 4 months ago by Onasaki.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Xaleron Participant
      December 16, 2007 at 6:04 pm #391

So… I was thinking, while sitting bored and watching Star Wars movies… Cause I’m cool like that… And decided that it’s very badass for two warriors, be them Jedi and Sith or whathaveyou, to shrug out of their cloaks/capes, staring at each other as they prepare themselves for combat.

We really have no reason to be doing this on LotJ, especially if all you’re doing is coded combat… Hell, most of the stuff we wear that’s ‘over’ wearloc increases something or another without any downside. But really, they should restrict your movement enough to make them worthwhile to take off if you’re about to do battle. But they should also have some kind of balancing factor to make them worth wearing the rest of the time. So, here’s what I came up with!

Cloaks decreasing your DEX. Just by -1, nothing crazy… But anyone who’s not a naturally very dexterous race, who wears fairly heavy armor, knows how valuable even 1 point of DEX can be in coded combat. And really, that’s all it takes… However, the plus side I’ve come up with, is allowing us to restring our cloaks. When they’re open, there is no restring active (unless you have restrung armor, in which case you’ll show up as that), and this would give a fairly cheap way for anyone to try to conceal their identity… Which is pretty realistic. Put some dude in a heavy, billowy cloak with a low and dark hood, and… Voila. No need to be wearing inch-thick durasteel plates on your body to conceal who you are. Another reason to not wear them in combat, would for them to take damage easily. Have them like the first thing to break, and take a lot of damage… Potentially a way of unmasking someone who’s trying to cloak their way around things. Like thieves…

‘A being cloaked in a midnight black robe tried to steal from you!’
      *You move to block the east exit*
      *You draw your weapons*
      "Take it off. NOW."
      *Idle time of them attempting to sneak up and shove you*
      *BLAST BLAST BLAST!*
      *A midnight black robe falls to the ground in scraps!*
      ‘A Twi’lek male screams.’
      *They will now be known as TwiMaleThief to you.*
      (and so on)

See what I mean? Enough of a reason to try to wear them, but easily foiled… And it adds a bit of realism both to how easy it is to hide your face, and to people trying to avoid wearing them into battle. I know it’s not a priority, but it’s an interesting little way of spicing up our lives. Hell, maybe some bountied mobs could walk around in cloaks or whatever, Iunno.

Lets see what you all think!

• Onasaki Participant
      December 17, 2007 at 12:50 am #3907

Great idea, with this idea jawas won’t need to screw themselves over STR rating to get a leather-armor set to be set as a robe.

• k12yptic Member
      December 23, 2007 at 5:45 pm #3963

Really I only see this being interesting if it was jedi/sith/dark jedi doing it. The scene you’re talking about was when a jedi and a sith squared off. Yes it was climatic, and built up interest but does it really make a difference for that thief?

Or maybe I’m not even understanding what’s going on. It’s been a long night.

• Corey Participant
      December 23, 2007 at 6:29 pm #3965
      "k12yptic":2g379ff4 wrote:
      Really I only see this being interesting if it was jedi/sith/dark jedi doing it. The scene you’re talking about was when a jedi and a sith squared off. Yes it was climatic, and built up interest but does it really make a difference for that thief?

Or maybe I’m not even understanding what’s going on. It’s been a long night.[/quote:2g379ff4]

I’m totally lost on what this idea is about too…I’ve read it a couple of times and it either doesn’t make sense to me, or I don’t see where it’d be needed or even used.

• Onasaki Participant
      December 24, 2007 at 3:28 am #3975

What he’s saying is, instead of only being able to restring armor. You should be able to restring clothing as well, or something of the such. It wouldn’t be much of a point, though, I agree at that point. If we could restring clothing, everyone would be "a darkly cloaked humanoid" and it’d pretty much look stupid over comms(But then I think comms should be voice only instead of CommNet 0 [A Human Male](darkly): Blah blah blah blah).

But anyway, I’m going off topic with that. It’d be a good idea at certain points, but not completely useful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.