This topic has 47 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 9 months ago by Helix.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
    • Kirash Participant
      March 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm #24975

Just something small. I propose allowing minor clans to have four capital ships in space versus the current three. It will allow minors to field a full fleet rather than being gimped one ship since the size of a battlegroup is Flagship plus 3.

• StormRyder Participant
      March 17, 2015 at 11:39 am #24976

That sounds reasonable. What are the current rules for clan ship numbers? Mains get how many?

If a minor clan decides to assist an ally they should be able to provide a full battle group. Would make treaties possibly more effective.

• Seryb Participant
      March 17, 2015 at 5:35 pm #24977

Help clanlimits. I think minors should limited to 3 until capturing another world. (Should be able to capture) Clans if the code isn’t too hard should also autopoplae to major at 4 worlds instead of 3. I think it should be increased because if all minors are able to capture it should be a little harder to go major. Only bypass to this would be majors that start an era this way.

• Kirash Participant
      March 18, 2015 at 12:29 am #24978

I think there’s a good reason for not having minors capture. I don’t really think that there should be any provisos to this. Battlegroup limits are four ships. Minor clan limits are three ships. Just seems a little silly to me.

• cnemus Participant
      March 18, 2015 at 8:01 am #24979

I think the reason the limit is 3 is specifically so minors ‘cannot’ field a full battlegroup. They can come to the fight, but not have a showing equal to a major. Should a local government or engineering company be able to stand militarily toe-to-toe with a multi-planet military force in a full mobilization? I agree with the 3 limit.

Big fleets, lots of squadrons, are cool to see and play with, but they kill the mud (as in: make it crash, lag, become psychotic, manifest a RL avatar and attempt to murder us in our sleep). Trying to balance availability, utility, and stability are tricky. The optimal settings/rules to shoot for are the ones that enable players/clans to pursue their stories, permit them to tools to succeed (fail), and to not impair the freedom (OOCly) of others… all while maintaining the game galaxy for all.

There are good reasons for all of the rules, capital rules, clan limits, etc. as they exist now. Most of those reasons are still valid, some reasons might be obsolete. Currently: If you want to play with a full battlegroup, capture planets, or otherwise participate [fully] in Galactic War, join a major clan. Controlling the number and identity of major clans gives an era direction and limits server load (capital ship battles). Would empowering minors with more ships make things more interesting? Possibly, but it also might make things crazy hard/complicated.

https://www.legendsofthejedi.com/forums/topic/discussing-the-storyplot/

I do support trying small changes out to see if they make things more interesting, even if I don’t personally agree.

• Kirash Participant
      March 18, 2015 at 8:20 am #24980

The limit made a lot more sense back when you could field six ships in a battlegroup.

• Paco Participant
      March 20, 2015 at 12:11 am #25005

I think I remember hearing that this was already being considered. Four ship limit makes sense.

• tweave Participant
      March 20, 2015 at 1:18 am #25006

I would have to agree with giving minors four ships. A major still has the advantagr in the form of another operational fleet. Two vs One.

• snefru Participant
      March 25, 2015 at 4:04 am #25023

I want to make a suggestion that is related to this and is, basically, an editing of the limit system so that the limit is not set by number of ships but by slots. As it stands, as far as I’ve understood, frigates and above are capital vessels. I do not know how battlestations and platforms feature in this system though (because help platform speaks of satellites and how they are not boound by clanlimits), but I have assumed they have… so if anyone could complete my suggestion, if I’ve gotten it wrong and they are not included.

I suggest assigned a numerical value to classes of capital ships and so it would be as follows:

Frigate – 1 slot
      Cruiser – 2 slots
      Battleship – 3 slots
      Battlestations and platforms – 4 slots (unless satellites are the only platform and are not bound by clanlimits)

Since the limit, as it stands, for major clans is 10 capital ships + 1 extra ship for every 3 planets they control (other than the capital), and cruisers are the standard vessel this era, this would mean that Major clans can field 20 slots’ worth of ships + 2 slots every 3 non-capital-including planets controlled.

For minor clans this would be 6 (or 8 if the maximum number of vessels is increased to 4, which I strongly support).

This would mean that Major clans can have, for example, 20 frigates or 10 frigates and 5 cruisers or 6 battleships and 1 cruiser… or whatever combination they think is worth it… if Battleships and Frigates are built – with sufficient differences from cruisers that each class has a clearly different role [and perhaps within each class there would be different roles as well if the vessels have a versatile-configuration option], I think this would add a lot to space combat, in terms of diversity, credit investment, strategy and tactics, and capital-ship game in general.

• Ralen Keymaster
      April 30, 2015 at 7:04 pm #25216

We’ve actually been discussing certain types of minor clans being able to use the capture command, up to a limit (i think the max was going to be 3-4) that then itself varies by clantype again. Obviously service and small manufacturing would not be able to take 1, let alone 4, but it’s a potentially interesting way to let government, paramilitary and the like ebb and flow more naturally.

• Paco Participant
      April 30, 2015 at 8:04 pm #25219

The ship limit for minor clans should be four capital ships, plain and simple.

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 31, 2015 at 2:56 am #25330

So here is the tentative framework Gathorn and I worked out. This isn’t official yet, but we’re opening it to discussion. Like many other things happening right now, the point is to improve a subpar game system while minimizing the amount of effort staff needs to put into A) monitoring it B) changing it.

As it stands Major Clans can field so many ships with a base fleet of 10 that standing up to them is not even remotely an option. This TL it has slowed things down a couple times because the other clans are just sitting there waiting until they are major because 3 ships vs 13 isn’t really all that fair.

PROBLEM: As it stands Major Clans can field so many ships with a base fleet of 10 that standing up to them is not even remotely an option. Eras have slowed things down because….
      *Major clans are so entrenched it is hard to start up against them
      *Major clans are able to sit on the sidelines then as soon as conflict develops, swoops in and restores the ‘natural order’

Change the base fleet for ALL clans to match the maximum number of ships that can be in a battlegroup. There has been some discussion to reducing the battlegroup size. Every planet owned by a clan allows it to field one additional capital ship.

Major clans will still hold the upper hand, but it significantly reduces the overwhelming advantage established clans have over others.

This should also have the side effect of allowing more players to get involved.

Thoughts?

• Kirash Participant
      May 31, 2015 at 5:51 am #25335

Change the base fleet for ALL clans to match the maximum number of ships that can be in a battlegroup. There has been some discussion to reducing the battlegroup size. Every planet owned by a clan allows it to field one additional capital ship.

Major clans will still hold the upper hand, but it significantly reduces the overwhelming advantage established clans have over others.

This should also have the side effect of allowing more players to get involved.

I can get behind this. This could have a positive effect on the way minor clans are treated by majors. The common perception with major/minor relationships is either the major bullies the minor with overwhelming force, or the minor is afraid of accidentally pissing off the major who then brings that overwhelming force. This would at least give some kind of balance between majors and minors at least in space while not losing the advantage that majors would have with fielding more ships due to planet capture.

• StormRyder Participant
      May 31, 2015 at 5:53 am #25336

So. . .am I reading this right?
      All Clans will be able to field a full battlegroup of 4 or is the battlegroup being reduced to 3 for all Clans?

• Walldo Keymaster
      July 20, 2015 at 3:14 am #25621

Thread bump because this is still the plan and I am preparing the official announcement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.