Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Add hard to read accents to rule 13
This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 2 months ago by Athrun.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
    • Zeromus Participant
      October 4, 2016 at 7:41 pm #28534

Anything that is excessively difficult to read such as jammingallwordstogether or a d d i n g s p a c e s b e t w e e n a l l w o r d s or h’ the’ h’ y’ d’n, stuff like that, should be against the rules. If you want to convey a different way of speaking, the tone command has several options and if a tone doesn’t exist, you can ask for it to be added. It makes it really difficult to read what the hell people are saying and in the case of blind players, their screen readers will have a lot of trouble reading it.

• TBV Participant
      October 4, 2016 at 7:48 pm #28537

i hate this. I completely disagree with you Zero. It is a very good way to RP. I know of a character who does it too, and I’ll admit, it can be difficult to understand, but also, it is part of their RP. Just like how Jawas, Gotals, Trandoshans and/or some other races ‘hiss’ ‘chirp’ ‘squeak’ and all that stuff. It is good RP. Also tone is not a speech pattern. It has nothing to do with the way that they pronounce the words, just the way that they say it (I’m trying to get at connotation). Also rping like that is far better than adding a tone, because you can do that AND a tone. I also didn’t know blind people could MUD.

• thermitelogic Participant
      October 4, 2016 at 7:56 pm #28538

It definitely is annoying, hard to read, and I can only imagine hell for a screen reader. this IS an English speaking mud, and there definitely becomes a point where you might as well not be speaking English, because nobody is going to bother to figure out what you are saying anyway.

• faust Participant
      October 4, 2016 at 10:01 pm #28539

Yes please.

• Xerakon Moderator
      October 4, 2016 at 10:04 pm #28540

TBV, if the only way you could play this game was to listen to your computer talk to you about what people are saying, and all that you were able to hear was ‘TBV says *random garbletygooknoise*’, you probably wouldn’t like it none too much either. In my opinion, it should be punishable under rule 14 as disrespectful to our blind players – which comprise what, Zero? 15-20% of our playerbase? Speech impediments are one thing. Making your text extremely annoying to read to even someone that can see it in the first place and atrociously impossible to those that can’t see it is a completely different thing.

• Fishy Participant
      October 4, 2016 at 10:12 pm #28541

I don’t know, maybe rule 15 (no leet) would be a better rule to expand. Something like..

(15) Avoid using ‘leetspeak’, ASCII art descriptions, and speaking in excessively difficult-to-read accents ICly.

..or something. I don’t know.

• Kirash Participant
      October 4, 2016 at 10:23 pm #28542

Hey while we’re at it, let’s ban all names that are indecipherable to screen readers. Where do you stop? I got mad love for all the blind players and their ability to enjoy the game, but seriously, let’s not get excessive with the cutting off people’s ability to RP or imagination or anything simply because you fucking hate it. We don’t need any nonsense rules.

However, there does need to be some kind of common sense used when adding your own little spin to the way you talk ICly. I’m not a big fan of the mashing words together either.

• Fishy Participant
      October 5, 2016 at 5:06 am #28544

There’s a certain subset of people who won’t stop doing something unless it’s against a rule. Also there is a naming policy which could conceivably be invoked on people with completely indecipherable names.

There’s a a line between ‘This is RP and imagination!’ and ‘This is someone being an obstreperous twat just because they can’.

TypinglikethisallthetimenomatterwhatnomatterhowmuchpeoplecomplainIClyandOOClythatyouareimpossibletounderstandandgenerallyterribleforpeoples’immersionandalsoagiantheadacheisdefinitelythelatterandnottheforumer,wouldn’tyouagree?

Y o u c a n c o m p l a i n a l l y o u w a n t a b o u t ” l i m i t i n g p e o p l e ‘ s i m a g i n a t i o n a n d R P ” b u t h o n e s t l y I w o u l d r a t h e r b a n w h a t e v e r “i m a g i n a t i o n ” y o u ‘ r e h a n d – w r i n g i n g a b o u t t h a n c o n t i n u e t o h a v e t o p u t u p w i t h t h i s f u c k i n g d i s r u p t i v e c a n c e r.

• Kirash Participant
      October 5, 2016 at 6:51 pm #28545

However, there does need to be some kind of common sense used when adding your own little spin to the way you talk ICly. I’m not a big fan of the mashing words together either.

As I stated, there should be some common sense, but having it as a hard rule is a little excessive imo. Should really be a case by case basis instead of a “hey you guys can’t do any of this stuff anymore except speak perfect English” rule put in. Cause honestly, where would you draw the line. Would like to see some sort of compromise.

As far as the naming thing, there have been many times in the past where people have made some blatantly inappropriate names for the Star Wars setting or unabashedly made names pulled directly from pop culture references. Usually, by the time it gets reported by someone who cares, they are already so ingrained ICly that it just gets let go.

NAME NAMES

If an immortal informs you that your name is not congruent with the Star
      wars theme you will be asked to select a new one. Please do not request
      frivilous name changes, and if you DO ask for one please do not supply a
      name that would not be appropriate. Renaming your character does not
      affect levels, stats or anything else aside from your name.

Taking names from aspects of pop culture (novels, movies, television, anime,
      video games) is against the rules. Be original please.

If we’re going to start complaining about a problem that has been around forever now, then it really needs to start being enforced more.

• Fishy Participant
      October 6, 2016 at 12:38 am #28548

“hey you guys can’t do any of this stuff anymore except speak perfect English”

Literally no one has said this except you.

• Kirash Participant
      October 6, 2016 at 2:15 am #28549

Yes, I exaggerated a bit. So what? My opinion on the matter still stands.

• Bai Participant
      October 6, 2016 at 10:41 am #28551

disagree, it adds creativity and atmosphere. They are still talking English, the language, just writing an accent in – which they are roleplaying based on an actual accent in most cases. If you can’t understand them, like maybe you wouldn’t IRL either if someone with a REALLY deep southern drawl or somewhere you are unfamiliar with, then maybe IC your response should be “Huh? Say that again?” or something like that just as it would be IRL. I don’t agree with taking away RP opportunities, even as seemingly small as accents.

• Zeromus Participant
      October 6, 2016 at 11:06 am #28552

Yes, I exaggerated a bit. So what? My opinion on the matter still stands.

You’re certainly allowed to have an opinion on a matter nobody is arguing, I guess.

If we’re going to start complaining about a problem that has been around forever now, then it really needs to start being enforced more.

Agreed. I’ve been trying to get the rename command given to RPC but it’s slow going. Can you not derail this thread, though? If you would like to crusade about other things that should be rules/enforced, try not hijacking other people’s discussions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.