Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Why does clan language exist?
This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 1 month ago by StormRyder.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
    • Telestrial Participant
      January 6, 2015 at 3:11 pm #24521

It’s super convenient. I know that much, but it makes no sense from any perspective. Even military only organizations still have a problem here because I can’t for the life of me understand how a bunch of brutes can come up with an ENTIRE LANGUAGE specific to only it. I’m not talking some basic encryption. It’s a spoken word that contains every word that exists. It’s OP.

It limits counter play from espi types, too, which I don’t think can be understated. It creates an unfair advantage to a clanned person.

It doesn’t need to exist. Espionage would be able to work better, and military types could actually come up with good code. It’s kind of a win-win to remove it.

I just woke up so this is maybe the most unorganized stream of ideas I’ve ever spouted. Anyway..thoughts?

• neven Participant
      January 6, 2015 at 4:10 pm #24522

Yeah, it’s basically just a crutch to keep other people from maybe mic-translating you or simply learning your actual language. Just let espionage happen more easily if people aren’t willing to just check themselves for mics as some of you don’t even while trying to spread your own espionage lol.

Also if you broadcast in it, other clanned people see it as “your clan language” even though they can’t understand it, giving meta knowledge that the person broadcasting is definitely clanned like in those secret-rebellion eras.

Furthermore, language restricted races that can only speak their language can’t even speak clan anyway so it doesn’t even make it any EASIER at all for a clan to be able to interact with each other any better than usual, everyone already knows basic and you’ll still have to learn shyriwook to understand what the hell your wookiee general is saying.

• Xavious Participant
      January 7, 2015 at 12:38 pm #24525

I considered posting about this particular issue in the past myself. I agree wholeheartedly with the removal of the clan language. It is impossible to counteract and I consider it a bit over powered as well. Removing it would provide more opportunity for the information brokers and snoops out there, which only helps stimulate more intrigue and excitement in my opinion.

Along with this suggestion I was going to propose other potential mechanics that might make things more interesting such as language trainers being more limited in the languages they do teach. You could force people to find a particular language trainer on Kashyyyk to learn Shyriwook for instance. The trainer could possibly be hidden or maybe in some cases limited to a clan base for race specific clans. Maybe even some languages would not have a trainer at all, allowing some races to have their own special communication independent of outsiders altogether. The sith language trainer might be limited to Korriban, which could be in a hidden sector. There are several different ways to make the language game a little more interesting.

All that being said, I think the clan language should be removed too, period.

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 7, 2015 at 4:18 pm #24526

The most direct answer to this question is because it existed in stock SWR and never got removed. I’m not weighing in on the matter one way or another, continue discussing!

• Kirash Participant
      January 8, 2015 at 1:19 am #24527

If you’re going to pull out clan language, at least give Mandalorians their own god damn language so they’ll quit speaking “Mando’a” Basic.

• neven Participant
      January 9, 2015 at 12:33 am #24532

I think Mando’a basic is canonically how it’s supposed to go. Any other time in some star wars game that someone is talking to you in some other language the subtitles are just in English but when they start with that Mando’a stuff the subtitles are still that way. They should still have their own language though to prevent that because it is kinda annoying.

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 10, 2015 at 2:32 am #24533

It’s an RP thing.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      January 11, 2015 at 12:58 pm #24538

Other stuff aside, I think this is a good idea. Having a language that is undecipherable is so OP its ridiculous.

• Telestrial Participant
      January 17, 2015 at 12:21 am #24557

It’s settled, then! Let’s give espis and slicers something to do =P

January 18, 2015 at 1:51 pm #24563

I have something to add to this, if you’ll all give me the time to read it. So, we’ve all pretty well decided that clan language is pretty well an OP ability. I’d like to bring something else to light. IF you have someone using tap-data, the clan channel is not one that is picked up. I believe it should. Now, I know what you’re thinking(or I like to think I do), and that is that with no clan language, having tapdata pull clan channel would be OP. I have a response to that. I believe clan channels should be 100% encrypted. Meaning this-if you use tap data, and you see a clan communication, you won’t be able to break the encryption because its not a channel you can tune a comlink to. I think this would help Espi and Slicers in the fact that while you might not be able to know what the clan is saying, you can identify that they are there. Again, just my thought, and additions to this thought process are welcome.

• veric Participant
      January 18, 2015 at 6:15 pm #24564

re:frump

I am a strong supporter of letting tapdata pick up communication ‘ripples’ when it comes to clan chat or maybe even planetary microphones. at the very least the ‘feature’ where you can hear microphones from across the galaxy because you are in a ship needs to be fixed. it would make information gathering riskier to collect.

• neven Participant
      January 19, 2015 at 1:29 pm #24565

tapdata is about the planetary commnetwork, microphones aren’t on that network. I don’t think tapdata should be able to listen to clantalks, but there’s a feat that does affect clantalks, or so it says (haven’t tested).

• Kirash Participant
      January 19, 2015 at 4:13 pm #24566

If you’re talking about disrupt network, Neven, it does affect clantalk. Seen it happen first hand. It affects all communications and cameras on the planet. It said it wasn’t supposed to affect it if you are in a ship, but I think it needs to be reworded to say “if you are in a ship that is in space” since it does affect it if you are in a landed ship.

January 20, 2015 at 9:50 am #24567

Neven: Why would you be opposed to tapdata being able to see encrypted clan messages? With an encryption, and no channel to tune a comlink to, there would be no way to break the encryption.

• Telestrial Participant
      January 22, 2015 at 2:47 am #24571

This may have gone off the rails a wee bit. Anyway…doesn’t seem to be anyone against clan speak being removed. What happens now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.