Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Revisiting the "Event Imm" idea
This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 4 months ago by frumpalumpaguss.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Walldo Keymaster
      November 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm #24407

Hi!

A while ago, we experimented with the position of an “Event Imm” and it didn’t really pan out. I’d like to revisit the concept, because I think it’s a good one.

Here is what we originally wrote about it:

The LOTJ Event Imm will be a two month rotating position whose sole purpose will be to plan, organize, and execute events both big and small.

About The Position
      This imm will be expected to both come up with event ideas and solicit them from players, prepare event plans, coordinate/direct BuildPort builders as needed, and then execute the events. The event imm will work with the rest of the staff throughout the process for both support and oversight.

This position will not have access to immchat, IC channels, or log channels.

Requirements
      Basic building skills (or better) are not required but they do help (we will train/help you as needed). All you truly need for this position is a desire to plan and run fun events

I think maybe calling it “Event Imm” was a bit misleading, given how events are thought of on LOTJ. I always envisioned it as more of an LOTJ Dungeonmaster – coming up with plots for players to participate in, not necessarily something that is going to be groundbreaking and shift the direction of the mud.

What do you all think? What would you like to see from this position? I’m open to anything.

• Corey Participant
      November 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm #24417

I believe anything that promotes more staff members to actually be around and actively taking part (not completely running things though) is a good thing. It seems that instead of a nice middle ground, we go from uber-heavy handed to completely nonexistence of staff. I think giving someone a specific task of trying to promote more RP and promote more story arcs is a good thing. Making sure they know to spread the events out and not cater to a specific group of players or clan, making sure they know the limits of their powers and the extent to which they can work, are both needed when taking part in such a position imho. They don’t really need to be able to give away super cool stuff like items/ships, not unless its something pre-approved by the greater staff as a whole and set as a larger prize. Anyway, I’m in support of this, anything to help kickstart stuff to help those players that like to be guided to the RP more than creating their own.

• Kirash Participant
      November 11, 2014 at 10:27 pm #24418

So what really caused it to fail in the first place? Was Altrez just not involved? Did he not get the support he needed? Did the playerbase just not give a damn? No one was ever really told why it failed in the first place. I think we need to understand why it failed in the first place so that anyone taking the spot doesn’t repeat the same mistake.

• Faern Participant
      November 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm #24419

I wish I were better at coming up with ideas, because I wouldn’t mind trying it on. But I can barely think of my own RP ideas. I just improvise as I go along, for the most part.
      I certainly believe this will be an excellent thing to revist however. I’m all for the idea.

• Avanga Member
      November 12, 2014 at 12:30 am #24422

“So what really caused it to fail in the first place? Was Altrez just not involved? Did he not get the support he needed? Did the playerbase just not give a damn? No one was ever really told why it failed in the first place. I think we need to understand why it failed in the first place so that anyone taking the spot doesn’t repeat the same mistake.”

IIRC it was a matter of not having access to the tools that real imms get, having to try to go through other imms every time he wanted to get something changed, added, implemented or otherwise done. Too difficult to finagle. PS, oOooooooOOoooOooo spooky ghost.

• Corey Participant
      November 12, 2014 at 11:07 am #24427

Yeah, assuring that they have the tools needed to complete their job is a huge factor. If every step they have to take has to be funneled through approval of higher staff members, you might as well not have the position.

• Seryb Participant
      November 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm #24428

I loved this idea when first implemented. I’d like to see if brought back if like the others are saying whoever ends up holding the position is empowered to make events with autonomy. I don’t see the harm in giving someone full access to powers needed if there is a final immortal to check and balance the final product.

• Walldo Keymaster
      November 12, 2014 at 8:46 pm #24429

“I wish I were better at coming up with ideas, because I wouldn’t mind trying it on. But I can barely think of my own RP ideas. I just improvise as I go along, for the most part.”

One idea I was kicking around is to sort of crowdsource plot and event ideas, maybe as its own subforum on the website. People would be able to come up with concepts, comment on others, and help flesh things out.

• Kirash Participant
      November 13, 2014 at 8:26 am #24430

Seryb, that’s the thing. There are Imms to check and balance damn near everything (except each other in some cases). There shouldn’t really be a problem with granting an Event Imm access to most of the things so he or she can do their jobs. They just need to have someone like Gathorn or Kraine or Ralen breathing on the backs of their necks everytime they even sneeze like they used to do with the RPC.

• Ranman Participant
      November 13, 2014 at 3:33 pm #24434

Give the event “imm” some immortal powers. If not full entitlement of their appropriate level, keep them fully logged and as suggested have someone experienced and trusted(Like Ralen or Gathorn) back check them and so forth.

I think it’s an okay idea, but the Event Imm should be more focused on helping the TL alongside the respective immortals. Random events that happen in stagnating and slow eras are a quick fix solution to a consistent problem. If the event imm was there to crowd source ideas and help push eras into new ground. (I don’t mean the event imm makes a Rebellion clan in an Empire Era, but certainly have some events aimed at tightening Empire control, or causing trouble etc and letting the era flow more regardless of direction.)

• Jamie Participant
      November 15, 2014 at 10:21 pm #24438

I would be very much in support of returning this position.

• Quicksilver Participant
      November 20, 2014 at 2:35 am #24443

Actually, I kinda of would be interested myself if I had more time.

• Paco Participant
      November 24, 2014 at 11:11 pm #24445

I was totally thinking about this the other day, it’s amusing to see it on the forums. The idea is pretty awesome. It would be nice to have a weekly event, or even bi-weekly. If this where to become a reality I feel like it would be better to have two people in the position, to ensure there is wider availability and to help make things run smoothly during the actual events (two minds are better than one, as well).

• Paco Participant
      November 24, 2014 at 11:18 pm #24446

Having one person who knows space combat, and one person who knows ground combat would also be a plus. While not all events would involve combat ideally it is important to ensure that the event IMM(s) understand both arenas of play, as it would only help to further enhance the fun of the event itself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.