Legends of the Jedi Forums The Next Timeline Possible Piloting Changes
This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 9 months ago by Xavious.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Paco Participant
      June 28, 2015 at 12:41 am #25475

This was discussed on OOC a bit:

Feat: Overdrive: Temporarily boost the speed of the ship you are in by 25(?), by rerouting power to the engines from the piloting station. This will quadruple fuel consumption for the duration. (Cooldown: 60(?) seconds)
      Feat: Shield_Boost: Temporarily boost the shields of the ship you are in by 500 by rerouting power to the shields from the piloting station. This will quadruple fuel consumption for the duration. (Cooldown: 60(?) seconds)
      Make Small Ships Durable: Add some durability to smaller ships, instead of somewhere between 50-100 hull/shields lets start out in the range of 300-400. (Note: This is not a lot, it takes 2-3 turbolasers to take out a small ship as it is now. There is literally no time to recharge shields, which brings me to the next point, courtesy of Quicksilver).
      Blockade: Blockade would be changed, making a blockade take 30 seconds to setup. Furthermore all ships in the sector would receive an echo along the lines of “The ships belonging to the Home One’s battlegroup begin to take up positions around Coruscant.” and when the timer ends, “The Home One’s battlegroup settles into position around Coruscant, obstructing passage.” (I also believe blockading should require 2+ ships. You can’t blockade space with one ship.)

These were just a few ideas.

• Paco Participant
      June 28, 2015 at 12:44 am #25476

I wanted to reiterate how simple it is to kill other players in space as it stands now. Blockade is instantaneous, and can be enacted immediately after entering another system. Anyone in range that can’t get to an escape pod after this happens (and on most small ships you aren’t going to find one) is going to die if that pilot wants them dead, nine times out of ten. I say this as someone who has used this tactic time and time again.

• Oteri Participant
      June 28, 2015 at 1:21 am #25478

I don’t ever see me using either of the first two, though I realize you seem to be aiming them for the ‘not you or I.’ And that begs the question, how low of a level do we make these feats to make them worthwhile for lower level pilots?

And while it nerfs the shit out of my activities, I like the idea of the blockade setup idea. Loooove it.

And finally, I don’t really /get/ the durability feat. Smugglers don’t need it, they’re going to fly mid-ships for the most part. Combat mains (who most want to get through a blockade, I would think) aren’t going to waste a feat on an ability on a “what if” I would think.

And here’s a suggestion to add to the blockade debate, on top of that maneuvering and whatnot, an “action desc” for the ships blockading ships might be kind of cool….

MC-40a Mon Calamari Light Cruiser ‘Flagship’ is maneuvering into a blockade position in orbit of Ord Mantell.
      MC-40a Mon Calamari Light Cruiser ‘Midguard’ is maneuvering into a blockade position in orbit of Ord Mantell.
      —-
      MC-40a Mon Calamari Light Cruiser ‘Flagship’ is blockading Ord Mantell.
      MC-40a Mon Calamari Light Cruiser ‘Midguard’ is blockading Ord Mantell.
      (cuz fuck Ord Mantell, srs)

• Paco Participant
      June 28, 2015 at 1:34 am #25479

Ah the durability bit wasn’t a feat idea. 😛

I think ships in general should just be more durable. I think everyone deserves a fighting chance, and dying without being able to at least react is a little cruel. I know you take the chance when you fly in small ships, but it seems a little OP to have ships that have guns capable of inflicting 25-50 hull damage and have ships that have 50 hull/75 shields.

• Kirash Participant
      June 28, 2015 at 7:02 am #25480

I am all for taking blockade and turning it into something that takes time to set up. It is the single biggest overpowering command that is used to vaporize anyone in space. Blockades don’t happen instantaneously. They take time to set up. They should take time to set up. They need to have some kind of forethought for them to work instead of just being a fire and forget way of instantly wrecking someone’s day.

I do like the other ideas as well. I’m not sure if making small ships more durable would even really help matters. A single capital with more than five turbolaser batteries (all of them) would still take out a small ship instantly even if the pilot doesn’t have Space Combat 3. Kinda what shipdodge is for. Your overdrive idea would be brutal on something like an A-Wing both positively and negatively though. I do like that idea the most.

Above all else, though, I still believe that Blockade needs a timer on it for setup. Make it like dock where you can’t do anything while you are relaying the commands to the other ships until they start moving into position.

I also feel like there should be a feat in either smuggling or piloting like Blockade_Runner that gives you a chance to instantly land on a planet (maybe limit it to one that is being blockaded) with a greatly increased chance (near 100% or at least 90% imo) to crash your ship (to save it from being used by people to expedite their cargo running even further).

—————————————————————-

(cuz fuck Ord Mantell, srs)

For real. Fuck Naboo too.

—————————————————————-

Feat – evading
      Class – Piloting
      Level – 145

You are 15% more likely to dodge incoming fire when piloting a ship.

I think this needs to be moved to smuggling as well and instead of its current effect, allow it to apply the shipdodge effect to tractor beams or a 15% chance to dodge tractor beams.

• illyduss Participant
      June 28, 2015 at 10:37 am #25484

Blockade running sounds awesome and would make sense for pilots who are more smuggling inclined. It should be hard to do though, but it should also be possible. What I think we need for pilots though are Astromech droids. For some ships they should be a requirement like the N-1 or an X-wing, but they should also have a duty assignment to repair ships just like engineers can do or take on secondary tasks for the pilot. Hell, maybe some really nice ones could actually pilot ships for players who don’t have the skill. Not at a super effective level, but at enough to get around basically. I won’t lie I have a bias towards this because I want an R2-D2 or maybe even an R9.

• Seryb Participant
      June 29, 2015 at 12:27 am #25494

You shouldn’t be able to hit fighters with turbolasers unless in a turret. Make a pilot type out target, fire lasers, and have small fighters dodge more. On my combat main I am still going to take something with pods but players should have a better shot in fighters. Luke flies down a god damn narrow canal with turbos trying to fuck his shit up for minutes and doesn’t get hit once. Neither do any of his none force cronies. Let’s fix this already.

• Seryb Participant
      June 29, 2015 at 12:32 am #25495

Illyduss, blockade running is possible as it stands. The other ideas I don’t really love, maybe overdrive so you could launch and try to run a blockade above with the quickness but I don’t really see that being picked often.

• Oteri Participant
      June 29, 2015 at 12:07 pm #25500

->Kirash, the problem with 15% to dodge to tractor beams is that I can spam them. I’m all for making it better, but 15% dodge is nothing compared to 15 tractor beams per second that I can fire. If we’re going to fix it, it needs a reasonable cooldown with reasonable consequence for success or fail.

I.E.
      1. tractor XshipnameX halt == ship stops
      2. XshipnameX can immediately speed up
      3. I can immediately slow it down

Proposition for a fix if anything?
      1. Reasonably lengthy CD on tractor beams, possibly reduced by the number of tractor beams?
      2. A halt, course change, or capture command that is successful reduces a player’s ability to react for some time, possibly slightly shorter than the CD of tractor beams (to say that tractor beams take slightly longer, like gouge/bash and it’s recovery time if you aren’t being multi-gouged/bashed)

->Seryb, I’d love to see the dodge rate go up in smaller ships. I don’t think main weapon batteries should miss 100% of the time, but it should still be a thing. It’d be nice if it scaled with piloting level too, to the point where a small ship at it’s most agile with a 150 pilot could have something like a ridiculously high 95-98% dodge rate.

I’m still going to pour turbolaser fire into him for days, but chances are damned good that if he is really trying to make it out of there, he can possibly do it. (particularly if he gets lucky and dodges a tractor beam or two)

• KRESKZZORZ Participant
      June 29, 2015 at 1:12 pm #25501

what if it took longer to target small ships

• Seryb Participant
      June 29, 2015 at 1:30 pm #25503

@Oteri, I don’t think they should miss 100% either but it’s absurd that they hit with abandon. I like the scaling dodge rate with levels that would make an elite pilot able to last for some time.

@Kresk
      , That’s not a bad idea, it should apply to tractor beams as well. A delay for it to lock on since the vessel is moving so fast.

What if ships with 100+ speed had a chance to break target lock because they are moving so fast. It isn’t unreasonable to think an ace pilot moving fast would get out of the crosshairs.

• Oteri Participant
      June 29, 2015 at 7:56 pm #25507

Tractor halt reduces ship speed by a set amount, so giving it a similar cd like I suggested doesn’t dead stop on the first use on faster ships.

• Capnknives Participant
      June 30, 2015 at 10:34 pm #25513

Dude, I love the ideas pertaining to a CD on tractor beams, and significantly increasing the survival chances of fighters versus turbo lasers. It’s canon… It’s intense and it need to happen! >:D Also, I like the idea of blockade running as well as blockades taking time to set up. It would just add more of those on edge moments that just made starwars!

• Xavious Participant
      July 1, 2015 at 10:44 am #25514

I’m not sure if this is common knowledge, but like Oteri mentioned earlier, when you tractor a ship to a halt, the tractored ship can immediately speed up and change course again. Typically when you course a ship towards a particular object or direction, you have to wait on a cool down before you can course again. Tractor beams automatically remove the cool down on the target ship. I don’t think it’s always been that way and I’m not sure when ships became able to course immediately after a tractor beam, even if they had just changed course, because I seem to remember tractor beams having the trump card in this scenario. Anyway, just making the point that I only recently noticed you could immediately speed/course out of a tractor beam myself.

Let’s use the blockade running scenario for an example. This basically turns into a spam fest where the ship trying to halt a target ship is spamming “tractor halt” commands between “firing” commands while the target ship is spamming “speed”, “course”, and “recharge” commands. This part isn’t actually that out of balance in my opinion. The ship being tractored, being smaller, is going to have more speed. The higher speed will edge out the larger ship eventually.

Where it does become imbalanced is if the targeted ship wants to land. Without a cool down on tractor beams, this becomes an impossibility. This is where escape pods rule the day. Escape pods are the ultimate counter to blockades. I’ve made it through two blockades this era alone and I think one of them was even in a Firespray, though admittedly it was pretty close (33% hull). If you slip on recharges for an instant, it could mean certain death. This definitely doesn’t do much for people flying in a starfighter. You will never make it to the surface without pods, but with shipdodge, consistent recharges, and speed you might be able to at least get out of the system. I’ve never actually tried it myself, though now I think I’d like to test it out with someone (with no blockade of course :D). In both of the situations where I ran the blockades, I was knowingly entering a blockaded system with the intent to make it to the surface, because screw your blockade!

To summarize, I agree that blockades should take more time to initiate and should probably require more than a single ship. Starfighters should probably be a little harder to hit than what they are. However, I still challenge you guys to use the current mechanics to your full advantage, because who knows if or when anyone will think about tackling these changes. I’m not saying these things don’t need to be changed, but I doubt a lot of you are utilizing mechanics and strategies that are already at your fingertips.

– When you warp into a system, you can enter at random coordinates, rather than 500 away from the planet, and dodge many potentially bad situations

– Escape pods are your friend.

-If someone tractors you to a halt and you can’t afford to be stuck, remember that you can immediately speed/course direction after being halted.

-Situational awareness is key. If you know there’s a good reason for an organization with capital ships to incinerate you in space, plan your movements accordingly. Ask your comrades for a ping on the enemy ships or any general intel about the system you are in or for any recent enemy movement/activity they have seen or heard. See if you can get someone else to launch before you or warp into the sector for a scout.

-If you are taking fire in a smaller ship, spam recharge, spam recharge, and then spam recharge some more. You might be surprised how much fire you can sustain by simply doing this one thing alone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
The forum ‘The Next Timeline’ is closed to new topics and replies.