Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium If you are a newer player, we want your feedback
This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 2 months ago by magrog.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Walldo Keymaster
      January 29, 2015 at 2:02 am #24592

Hi!

We here at LOTJ love new players. New players become regulars, regulars become veterans, veterans become oldbies, and oldbies become crusty. It’s a great cycle!

We invite new(er) players to use this thread to discuss how they are finding LOTJ in terms of newbie friendliness – What do you like? What don’t you like? What should we change? How did you find the newbie academy experience? How did you find the RPC and player help?

When posting in this thread, please try to keep in mind our rules about IC/OOC boundaries. I’m not going to be a big jerk about it, just don’t go posting blatantly IC secrets here. If you have a new player concern involving a very specific event, feel free to email me – [email protected]

Veteran players – please try to refrain from using this thread to oldbie-splain things. Try to keep an open mind to the plight of our newest LOTJers.

• Olrac Participant
      January 29, 2015 at 1:14 pm #24593

Hi all, I hopped on the game for the first time last night, my experience was entertaining to say the least… by entertaining I mean, mission accomplished! I’ll definitely be hopping on again. I came from a dikumud based ROM, medieval fantasy hack n slash rp/pk heavy mud. I’ve wandered away from it because I find myself playing it alone lot of the time and if I’m going to learn a new mud, well, it’s gonna be Star Wars! Found LOTJ thru TMC, although I will say, for as many players as you guys have, ya’ll could easily be in the top 10 ranking.

What do you like?
      Its Star Wars 🙂
      There’s people here (actually came across a few PC’s literally seconds after leaving the newbie area) and in OOC regards, they’re friendly and helpful to newbies, but also friendly to each other.
      It’s more than just kill kill kill.
      The comlink is really cool. It makes communication more realistic than ‘tells’.
      It seems well developed with lots of things to do.

What don’t you like?
      Blue & Dark Blue. It’s hard to read on a black background. My prac list and command line was a dark blur. Fortunately for me Zmud allowed me to change it to an easier to read color, so this is trivial.

What should we change?
      I’m broke, IRL, $5000 would be most helpful 🙂 (that’s all that came to mind here lol)

How did you find the newbie academy experience?
      Thoroughly Educational, especially for commands like Approach, turbolifts, etc; things that were different from the previous mud I played.

How did you find the RPC and player help? Was the RPC or OOC particularly helpful?
      Yes, I only used OOC but everybody was quick to reply, very helpful, and welcoming.

What have you found confusing?
      Just the usual knick-knacks and what-nots that come along with entering a new mud. Nothing specific comes to mind at this moment.

What helpfiles and/or tips are horribly outdated?
      Maybe just a little better explanation of how Practice/Research/Training/Skills/Attributes works, this could be my own failing to fully read the help files. (I am used to dikumuds so its just different and not yet obvious to me.)
      There’s little to no info on races/classes/etc available outside of the in-game help files. The Wiki that you have to log in to get to seems to not work.

Are you tired of our BS and are quitting but feel like you need a place to tell us off?
      No 🙂

Thanks Walldo and all who welcomed me in last night, it was my first experience with LOTJ and it was a good one. Sorry if I don’t have too much to offer right now, this review is a pure newbie review drawing from about 4 hours of gameplay.

• Paco Participant
      January 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm #24594

I know we get most of our race descriptions from starwars.wikia.com 🙂

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 31, 2015 at 5:28 am #24595

(OOC) Bey: I think that in the newbie academy should be a BIG RED SIGN that says read the HELP NEWBIE_INDEX and prepare yourself to rule the galaxy!

So this got me thinking! What sort of fundamental LOTJ concepts should be added to this file?

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 31, 2015 at 5:32 am #24596

The newbie academy probably definitely needs a better explainer of stat training with regards to levels and such?

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 31, 2015 at 5:32 am #24597

The newbie academy probably definitely needs a better explainer of stat training, stat gains and how important it is to level maxes and stuff.

• Trayn Participant
      January 31, 2015 at 10:16 am #24599

you called me crusty Walldo? if any of you newbies need help and I’m on just ask me any questions, I’m here to help you.

• magrog Participant
      January 31, 2015 at 10:43 am #24600

I was waiting to write down here because the MUD was not letting me have some time to expare, I started playing in LOTJ almost two months ago. Went from others Star Wars MUD’s that were not so fun to this one that is stealing about 8 hours of my day, 7 times a week.

Already having three characters (Yes I created, leveled, trained and geared all of them in two months) I had some fun and insteresting moments will all of them. I have a Human Slicer (First), a Twi’lek Combatant (Second) and a Bothan Spy (Third).

The first two ones are in clans since the creation, making things more easily, the Roleplay comes to you a lot since the Higher one’s in the clan helps it to flow and this makes a huge diference, at least for me in the beginning, since I was real learning all the diferente mechanics that this mud have from other Star Wars mud’s. I think New Ones should not have the option to do not enter a Clan at their beggining of the game, I think this will immerse then more in the Mud’s background and makes then stay for longer. I normally do not go to the Newbie Academy in Mud’s but since LOTJ have some very specific mechanics that makes HUGE difference in the short and long run New Ones should be recommended and enforced to go through it to not be frustrated later with their choices and characters.

The Academy area that explain the mud is quite ok for me, what needs to be worked more is the area that gets you in touch with the mud inside the Academy like the research mechanics, train and do some quests to raise some classes. I think we have to had quests for all the classes until the player can reach a level like, 10 or so, in the Academy. The area does not need to be big to let News ones loose themselves in it, it just need to show to them how good the mud is and let the taste of “If you go further your life is doomed”.

My first Character (Human Slicer) missed the newbie academy and the stat training until around half their levels, I think this let him a little behind, but he is still my favorite since he had a lot of nice Roleplays opportunities and got killed almost everyday or another by what he does in other clan’s territory.

The Second one went smoothly and without incidents, the combat mechanics are ok and I think that pvp is not up for me or ever will be compared to other players that I see talking over the OCC channel’s. One more thing, the combat in the Academy takes forever, maybe the fault is of the low hitroll that players starts or the fugitive AC, It should be more easier.

And finally the one that’s shining for me, the Clanless Bothan Spy. With this one I corrected all the mistakes that I made prior with the other two caracteres. Got some really good rolls. Not being in a Clan makes me go after the Roleplay and Im enjoying it more, this remember me of how good the player base is and how they work together to everyone have a good time roleplaying here, this have no price.

This was supposed to be only some lines and ended like this. I’m definetely up for more Timelines in LOTJ.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.